My Mainecoon likes to pee on the counter. How can I get her to stop?

she is 5 years old. we currently use feliway to get her to stop but she has peed 2x since using it about 4-5months ago.

monstermansmom

Asked by monstermansmom at 2:25 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Use a spray bottle. I mean on her not on the counter. It is aversion therapy.
    goddessmom

Answer by goddessmom at 2:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• ooh I met my first Mainecoon a few weeks ago at my work. I had never seen one before and I went into the cat room and saw him laying (sprawled out) in a wicker cat bed. I totally freaked out and ran out to a co worker. "OMG YOU GOTTA SEE THIS CAT!! IT'S FREAKING HUGE!!" LOL He was sweet, but for some reason he was intimidating to me at first. I was like, "Is he like part bobcat or something?! Is he gonna eat me?!" lol
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• my friend takes care of like 30 cats at her place...when she get a problematic cat that wont pee in the littler box or if they mark their territorry she put a small dish of white vinger where they r peeing something about the vingar they dont like i would try wipeing down the spot where she has peed with vingar and the but a small dish there to see if this deters her
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:32 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Aweee I used to have a mainecoon.. he was the best cat ever.. not to mention biggest cat ive ever had! I have to agree with the first poster, watch that cat carefully and have a water spray bottle on hand. ;)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:56 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• There may be something on your counter that smells like pee to your cat. Cats will pee on things with rubber backing and plastic grocery bags etc. Rubber drawer liners come to mind. If there is anything like this remove it before you clean up. The vinegar is a good idea. Cats also do not like aluminum foil. You could try laying this across your counter top until the cat is conditioned to go in the litter box.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Is your cat spayed?
    equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 7:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2009