Do I still have milk after 2 1/2 weeks?

I just bought a pump I pumped today on the clock every 2 maybe 3 hours and only got maybe a 1/2 ounce I know I should have started from the get go but didnt plan on breast feeding but have to now do to she is allergic to formula. Is it too late to try, am I dried up already? My chest hurts from pumping and my nipples are sore and kinda raw is that normal? Is there something I can do to help the milk come back and help the soreness? Please help me I am trying to do what is best for my daughter.

stangalang

Asked by stangalang at 3:07 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try nursing your daughter straight from the tap. Pumping is NOT an adequate measurement of how much you're producing. This early on you probably still have milk. Some great things you can do to increase supply are:
    drink LOTS of water
    eat oats
    get some Mothers Milk tea.

Check out kellymom.com for more info. And don't give up. You CAN do it! If you haven't already, seek a breast feeding group, there can be lots of support in these groups.

Good luck.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 3:21 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Oh, and also contact an LC. Your hospital should be able to point you in the right direction.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 3:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Join the Breastfeeding Mom's Group ASAP! You will get MUCH MUCH better help there than here. http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:31 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• There is also a group on here called Relactation Communication - there are a bunch of moms who are trying to get baby back to the breast. If you're still getting a little bit with the pump then you ARE producing milk. The good news is, baby is much better at getting milk from the breast than a pump is, so pump output is NOT a reliable indicator of how much milk you are making. Your breasts make milk in a supply/demand basis - the more your baby nurses (more often and longer duration) the faster your body will make milk. How is her latch? It can be difficult to get baby back to the breast once they've been on a bottle, but it's not impossible. You can find a lactation consultant to help you form a plan. It will be hard work - but it's SO worth it. I struggled to get my son off the bottle when he was three weeks old. There was lots of crying - but I persevered and now he's 14 months and still nursing like a champ!
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:05 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• if you can rent the hospital gradebreast pump at babies r us and from some hospitials Its recomended by the lc i had because it was more powerful (sucked better) about 80 $ per month I just did one month, like you said every two hours. Having this pump made me confident because sometimes baby got frustrated with boob not flowing like bottle. Also for nipple tenderness i used the medela product for that and it helped. If you can find an lc they can make sure you have the right size attachments to reduce nipple irritation I don't know how to explain it better than your actual nipple should not touch the pump, just enough space inside so when sucking it isnt rubbing also when i finally breastfed she had the bottle for a week and had a hard time with nipple so I used the medela breast shield and bam she knew what to do with it and a few days later no problem on the breast
    good luck i know this process can be trying
    aubreyjadasmom

Answer by aubreyjadasmom at 7:45 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• also while your pumping pull your baby up close and adore them , just stare at them this worked for me hope it helps
    aubreyjadasmom

Answer by aubreyjadasmom at 7:58 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Contact LLL. Try to get her to directly latch. It is NOT too late. I urge you to contact LLL or an IBCLC for hands on help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2009