is my two and a half year old too young for a root canal

i recently took my little girl to her first dentist appointment and was horrified when i found out that she needed two root canals, i mean is this really tha necassary and will it be ok for her to get put under for the procedure. i am a very comcerned mother that will do anything that is in the best intrest of my child, as im sure we all are.

so if anyone has gone threw the same thing maybe you can give me some advise and ease my worries a little.

ActionCheerBaby

Asked by ActionCheerBaby at 3:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Health

• I have never heard of any dentist doing a root canal on a child so young! What teeth are they? I think if they're really bad at this age they just pull them.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 4:21 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• When my DD was that little they just pulled them, She was almost 3 when they did that. Usually they wont do root canals on baby teeth. You might want to get a second opinion on that. Now the sedating thing is nothing to worry about. I just took my 2 year old in for her first visit also last week and she has a couple of cavities that need to be filled and they said that they could hold her down and I said no due to that is traumatizing for a 2 year old so I am having her sedated for it because I don't want her scared of the dentist in the feature.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• If you are concerned about the diagnosis, get a second opinion from a pediatric dentist or endodontist

Answer by rkoloms at 9:36 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Baby teeth have one major function that allows for a better future. The baby teeth hold the space for the permanent teeth. Premature loss of the baby teeth can produce extensive crowding and decay problems of the permanent teeth. This is why it is very important to hold onto the baby teeth if at all possible.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• id do a 2nd and 3rd opinion myself. no need to risk oral surgrey without be totally certain of the need
    Anonymous