Is this normal?

My 3 year old son has recently started touching his butt a lot, I freaked out and took him to the doctor, they said that he is fine and it is completely normal with boys his age. Anyone have any advice I have talked to him MANY times till I am blue in the face. But I can't get him to leave his butt and penis alone. What is wrong with him? This was never a problem untill he stopped wearing the pull ups and only wears underwear.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hahaha. My son has been in love with his butt for a long time now. They have a great relationship. He sings a butt song, shakes his rear end, and asks me to give him love taps. There is a time and place for all things. So when I see him in a social setting wagging the rear end I gently pull him aside and remind him that admiring the tush is for at home and that other people's rear ends are off limits. It is normal for many kids, regardless of age, to be fascinated by body parts. As adults we have our own hang ups in the positive or negative. We just know how to be socially acceptable (well, most of us anyways) about it. Teach not preach. Give him boundaries and tell him when he can admire and where. He'll get it. Then all will be well and he will have more things that you need to teach him about. Parenthood: they don't tell you that your child will love pointing out boobs or fart the alphabet. Its always something.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:41 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My almost 4 year old does the same thing his hand never leaves his wee wee and butt It's normal, trust me I don't like it either, he is always playing with it, heck my 8 month old everytime I take off his diper his hand goes straight for it, I told my hubby about it and his answer was "well they are boys and it feels good that's why they do it" so your not alone momma
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:16 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Up until now the pull-up and diaper have held everything tightly and close up to him. It just probably feels different "free and breezy" He is just getting used to how it feels and the fact that he can reach it now.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:39 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Your son is just familiarizing himself with different parts of his body that were once covered in a diaper. You should try not to make a big deal out of it. If you are freaked out by it then you may send him a self-conscious message. At his age it's just normal curosity.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 5:58 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• There is NOTHING wrong with your son. Just set him restrictions, but don't forbid him to explore his body. I tell my son that he can play with himself in the bathroom and his room, just not where I can see it. If he does, I just remind him that I don't want to see him playing with his penis. Also, remind him to wash his hands after he's done playing with his body. But don't make it sound like it's bad, wrong, forbidden or unnatural. It's 100% normal and is an hands-on learning opportunity of anatomy and physiology.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• He is a boy and youre expecting him to leave his private parts alone?? Not going to happen. Men and boys do that. Both of my boys do this too. If they are naked and getting in or out of the tub, then their hands STAY on their penis. Its just what boys do. Just ask him to not hold his penis or put his hands down his pants in public. WHen hes at home, the just leave him alone. Also make sure hes washing his hands frequently. Its very normal.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Very normal. He is transitioning from the anal to the phallic stage. So those are his areas of interest. Leave him be. My son does the same thing. If I notice it I just happen to tell him to get his hand out of his undies and he does.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• IMO this is completely normal. If it isn't then my son(3) is completely abnormal! Lol! My son's done daytime potty training and not completely nighttime pt yet. Sometimes he runs around the house naked grabbing either his butt or his penis. I asked his why he keeps grabbing his penis and his response was"I got to". Who knows at this age..maybe they think it will fall off if they don't hold it.I TRY to keep underwear on him to no avail sometimes. As for his butt I started putting cornstarch on it . I noticed he's not grabbing it anymore..well as much. Message me if you want we can talk about our grabbers.
    mkagdchcetdy

Answer by mkagdchcetdy at 8:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2009