Is this legal? Can they do that?

I went into work my part time job and my manager told me they had to let me go because of the minimum wage hike. He said they had to let one part timer go from each shift.
Are they allowed to just let me go like that? Shouldn't I have gotten a 2 wk notice or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• it depends on what state you live in - we live in OH which is a "at will" work state, meaning they can fire you or let you go any time for no reason or warning, and you can quit at any time for no reason and with no warning. Most states are like that - the rest are "just cause" states which mean they have to make a case when they decide to let you go. what state do you live in?
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:10 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• West Virginia
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yup they sure can. Small businesses have been projected to be hit the hardest. Just out of curiousity, was this a small business?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes, they can and it is predicted that more and more will be laid off because employers are already stressed financially. They have to make cuts somewhere.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 8:07 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• ALL employment is "at will" The only jobs that are "protected" are union and civil service/government jobs--and even they can lay you off, force you to move to another subsidiary/branch/division, or accept your resignation if you don't want to.

You can be fired/laid off for any reason or no reason at all--part-time employees without benefits or seniority are typically the first ones let go with the economy is not doing well--they're considered the most expendable.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:43 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• YES THEY CAN BUT IN FLA YOU CAN COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT WHEN YOU ARE FIRED WITHOUT REASONABLE CAUSE.

Answer by older at 11:56 AM on Jul. 25, 2009