At 32 months, should all his words be clear?

He says only a few words clear. It breaks my heart, because he tries so hard to tell us something, and we cannot understand him. I could only imagine the stories he is telling, that we will never know :( His vocabulary of words that are understandable is slowly increasing, and he is in speech therapy. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else has been through this, and if things worked out okay.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 4 and he has a hard time pronouncing his k's and g's at school a speech therapist evaluated him and said he was fine. preschool helped him alot because pretty much only i understood what he was saying. i think if he is progressing he will be fine.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 8:27 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I can understand your pain and frustration. 4 of our 6 children have some degree of autism. All of them talk, but a few of them have a harder time "getting things out" than others. It is heartbreaking to see them trying so hard to tell you something- but they just can't find the words to use, or can't seem to get them out right. Mine have all done much better with speech therapies, and lots of work and consistancy at home. Good luck to your family.
    6littlestitches

Answer by 6littlestitches at 8:34 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• First thing that comes to mind is GET HIS EARS CHECKED! My cousin had the same problem she was misdiagnosed with autism but being they had one autsisic child already the got a 2nd opinion.... turns out she had hearing problems.. my bffs son was barley verbal and his speech was mumbled like your sons.. turns out he was partially deaf need tubes and his ear drums shaved.. also they have referall programs for speech therapy, most are free or low cost... but yeh thats the first thing that come to mind is ears.. talk to your doctor and get a refferal to a pediatric ENT.. if thats not the problem go from there but start with that
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 8:43 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• No. Most children aren't able to pronounce all the sounds in the English language until about 7 years old. There are going to be lots of times where they will have difficulty sounding out words...just be patient and tell them that you don't understand yet. When you do understand, repeat back the words as they are meant to sound. My son is 4 and we still do this when he's having a particular bit of difficulty getting his message across. He has learned to be patient with me because I let him know that I can't understand but I'm willing to wait and work with him until I DO understand. It's not a problem and it's not anyone's fault...it just takes years to learn how to speak clearly. Patience is your best tool!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:45 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My daughter is 33 months and although she speaks clearly most of the time, not everything she says makes sense and I don't believe it's autism or bad hearing. They're only 2 for goodness sake.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Oh goodness NO. They will have a few things they say really well, but a lot of it will be mispronounced. As long as they are TRYING and they are willing to talk. I know what its like. My son is 3 1/2 and he only says a few things right. Most of his words have the wrong beginning sound. He struggles with consonants. He says swimming and it comes out kimming. He says diapers and it sounds like pipas. I could go on and on. He will probably need some help with speech therapy, but we are not doing it right now. Maybe when he turns 4, I will allow him to go to the school for therapy. We are homeschooling so he wont attend there, just go there for therapy a few days a week. I know when hes trying to tell me something important and his words get all jumbled. Its frustrating to him. Also he uses a lot of sign langauge because he cant say what he wants to say. He shows me what brother did to him rather than telling me...
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:49 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I agree , don't worry to much yet. Just try to get him evaluated. My son is about 34 months & I have the same problem. I hope he out grows it. He still does a lot of baby talk. He can say some words, but he's hardly purfect at pronouncing them. My oldest son never was like my 2yr. Old. So I can't say what to look forward to. Sorry, good luck with your child though.
    luvmyangels3

Answer by luvmyangels3 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 25, 2009