• In the Spotlight:

Do you have any cultural/religious considerations that will effect your care?

I ask this question at least 5 times a day at work. (I work at a Pediatrician's office.)

Other then JW's not accepting blood transfusions what other considerations are there?? Do you personally have any?

We NEVER have anyone say yes around here.

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 8:11 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nahhh, not really. Nothing I can think of at the moment, anyway. I guess if I'm on the ventilator and I'm going to die, I don't want any religious figures coming to pray over me. But that's an extreme situation.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:27 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• no, even in death, i would welcome prayers/energy/etc...if i'm conscious, it might make me 'feel' good to know someone cares. i hope i'm never so cold that i'd turn any of that away, even if it were a different religion.
    i always found it odd that the hosp-admit papers ask these questions, for the very reason that if i'm in physical need of healing, ANY 'help' i receive, along with medical, is appreciated.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:58 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I do not believe that vaccinations are all necessary. Especially when there are forms that you are required to fill out in case something would happen due to the shots.
    That doesn't have anything to do with being a Christian but it does have something to do with doctors thinking that they have all the answers to what is best for someone else's child.

on the religious deal...I always refuse to have a priest come to my room whenever I have had a surgery. I am a Christian and I do not call any man Father. I have a Heavenly Father.
    walkswithjesus

Answer by walkswithjesus at 9:03 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Well, I do question some of the vaccines they give children today and what they're made from (google "vaccine ingredients" and you'll see why). I also have some strong convictions about the kinds of meds they are trying to put children on (they had my daughter on Mirilax, which was the worst thing they could have done for her condition, and my step son was recently put on prozac for "mild environmental depression"), but other than that, not really.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Once I asked my dad ,who is an atheist," Who do you want to come in when you die?" He said to bring them all.

We accept most of what is offered . I need insurance.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 9:47 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Well, as an endowed LDS person, I wear what we call garments under my clothes...like most religious garb of faiths around the world they remind us of promises we've made with God.

In an emergency situation - by all means, cut them off if you need to, and focus on saving our lives first. But we prefer (where possible) for them to not be thrown on the ground or tossed out. The best thing to do with them is to place them in a bag, and return them to the patient at the end of treatment.

I think that's pretty standard practice for patients clothing at most hospitals anyway...and it's nothing you'd really have to worry about unless the patient is too unwell to dress themselves.

That's a very considerate and respectful question - thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Oh, it's only adults that wear them anyway - not a pediatric thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• No, no religious ones. But personal yes. I will not recieve chemo, I will not be placed on life support, I will not have someone esles organs implanted and I'm on the fence about blood. There is just something wrong with the idea of taking someone elses life force in to mine...

As for my kids, we do not vaccinate, no TB Testing, no transfusions and no life support! When it's our time to go, we will. There is no reason to tempt the fates!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:14 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Nope.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Absolutely. Our culture has a basic belief of trusting all decisions made by doctors. You should have seen the fuss I caused when I had my daughter and when my sister had her baby. I made sure to research basic procedures (giving pitocin, episiotomy, best positions, etc) so that I could request more natural remedies. Like giving my sister more time to dilate instead of giving her pitocin. Or using antibiotics instead of pitocin because my sisters water had been broken for 12 hours.  I think most hospitals expect women in labor to come in, lay down, and do what the doctor says. 

When my daughter was supposed to be vaccinated, I asked so many questions that her pediatrician could not answer.  I told him we would vaccinate when we knew the answers.

I also disagree with life support, chemo, and many other man made chemical treatments.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2009