as a Christian do you pray for your enemies

When we see great evil being carried out, part of us cries out for justice. We want to see God avenge those who defiantly oppose Him (and by faith, we know that He will). But, as difficult as it may be at times, we must also pray that God will help us to respond personally to those who are our “enemies” in such a way that they may eventually be led to be our friends, and more importantly, friends of God.

walkswithjesus

Asked by walkswithjesus at 8:14 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I try to pray for everyone. I guess, in all honesty, I never feel that anyone is really my "enemy" so to speak. I do pray for God to bless those that appear to be bitter or mean, simply because they usually have a reason - something has happened in their lives to harden them or they're just having a bad day.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I try to remember that we do not fight against flesh as much as in spiritual battles.
    I consider all that come against this nation an enemy; but also a blinded by hate and jealousy enemy.
    ALMIGHTY GOD, when we are frightened by the close face of evil, help us to see your face of holiness, concern, and love more clearly. When we are horrified that hatred can generate such inhumanity as we have witnessed, give us a sense of joy in the noble deeds of compassion that have been generated by people made in your likeness. When we feel such shock and anger that we are tempted to give way to bloodlust and revenge, restrain us and show us the path to a just, measured, and effective response.
    I pray for the leaders in Korea
    I pray for the leaders in the warzones and all them that are fighting our soldiers
    I pray for this Cafemom members that fight and argue
    I pray for the bitterness within myself
    walkswithjesus

Answer by walkswithjesus at 8:46 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Just curious- who are you considering as an 'enemy?'
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:43 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Do the women in cafemom read the newspaper, listen to the news or radio?
    Just wondering if you have heard that there are enemies against our country?
    Also, do you never come up against any women here in cafemom that hate Christians?
    Just wondering why this is still a question.
    It was asked in another woman's post the other day.
    I pray for all the people that claim to be an enemy either to this country or to the Christian faith.
    I guess that is who I would refer to as an enemy.
    walkswithjesus

Answer by walkswithjesus at 10:07 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• WalkswithJesus- I pray that people who judge others learn how not to, lest they be judged.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes, I read the papers. And yes I watch the news and listen to news radio. And yes I am aware of the situations of the world. But I do not consider those who live in different countries (most of whom have as little to do with the foreign policies of their nations as we do with ours) as enemies. Nor do I consider those who have differing religious views as my enemies. I'm not at war with anybody. I do wish peace and happiness for all sentient beings, including those you refer to. But they are not my enemies. Just a differing opinion.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:02 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes. I pray for those I consider my enemies (which I currently don't think I have any lol) and anyone who would consider themselves my enemy.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• yes
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Answered at 10:35 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 by: Anonymous
    WalkswithJesus- I pray that people who judge others learn how not to, lest they be judged.
    ~~~
    OK...where did this come from?
    How is my praying for my enemies judging?
    Sorry, gotta help me out here...don't know what got you all flustered and irritated.
    walkswithjesus

Answer by walkswithjesus at 10:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• yeah anon, what's up with that? If a question that involves the name of Jesus or prayer or Christians bothers you why do you read them?

Walkswithjesus, Yes I do pray for my enemies, I equate enemies with anyone who has offended me. I figure in this case overgeneralizing is a good thing. It is much easier when it is someone far away and not personally hurting me or mine. Probably one of the hardest things God will ask of you, but also the most rewarding. Even if they don't ever change, you change. It's really hard to stay angry or hate when you pray. God softens my heart, and I have more peace.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2009