Is this responsible Grandparent behavior? Need opinions please!

My In laws took my 3 year old daughter to their lake cabin for the weekend. When speaking to them on the phone last night they mentioned to me that they took her out on the jetski yesterday full speed at 40mph. Now the specifics are - She can't swim, but was wearing a life vest, she was seated in the middle of the jet ski between her grandfather and uncle, there was no one else on the lake and they were just going straight, not making turns. Would you be upset about this or is it not a big deal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• She was wearing a life vest and that is the most important thing. If you are not comfortable with her doing this, then just tell them.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i would be ok but would mention not to do that speed again till she knew how to swim well. but they did do right by haveing her in the middle of them, but again would ask next time to just slow down...and thankfuly they kept her vest on if that wasent on that would be a big no no for me..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• A three-year old. I would have my heart in my throat at even thinking about it. I guess I'd tell them that you know they wanted for her to have fun, but that you feel uncomfortable about it even though they took great precautions., but that you would prefer they not do it again.

Answer by Bmat at 9:31 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• She should have been wearing a helmet, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• That seems like its not a big deal to me. She was wearing a life vest and she was between 2 adults. My first time on a jetskee i was only 3 and i was sitting in front of my stepdad and it was just the 2 of us on there. He would be doing the turns and everything but only if we were going slow enough so i wouldnt fall off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Sounds to me like every precaution was taken!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:11 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• You can't sheild them from everything. I bet she had alot of fun...sounds like they took all the precaution's & I'm sure if she had been scared they would have stopped. I would have liked to know before hand just so I'm aware of the situation. but I wouldn't be too upset about it. They love her i'm sure they wouldn't put her in any real dangers...it's not like they were in the ocean jet ski-ing with hammer head sharks or anything.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 12:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Sounds like they did everything right. I KNOW it is scary when little ones do things like that, but we have to let them enjoy themselves as long as they are doing so safely.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Are you comfortable with this? That is the real question. I have friends with a lake house and they often had their three year old on the jetski. Not going that fast and not in the middle of the lake. I think they just putzed along at a nice steady slow speed (with life vest on of course). I personally would not be comfortable with the speed. It wouldn't matter if they were the only ones on the lake. You set the limits and if you know of something that has gone against your better judgement and wishes you address it head on. Nicely. Just say: "I'm really worried about her being in the open part of the lake going so fast. In the future if you can keep the speed down to X I would feel more comfortable about it." No need to arugue or make a fuss. Because if you hear or know other wise you NEVER allow your child to be alone at the lake house again. No explanations necessary. Your busy. Period.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:19 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think I was just a little freaked out about it because I wasn't there. Honestly, I could see my husband and I doing something like that with her, and if I was there I probably would have given the green light for her grandpa and uncle to take her, but it's just a little freaky to be on the phone and hear about your three year old, "Oh we took her on the jet ski full speed, and she loved it!"
    Anonymous