My ex-husband has just asked our 17 year old to borrow $2,000 from money she has earned at her part-time job.

I am so upset but when I spoke with my ex-husband, he said it wasn't a big deal in today's economy and that people do it all the time. He is now angry at me for being upset by all this - but I feel it was extremly inappropriate and damaging to our daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't know about damaging, but it doesn't seem right. In case of major crisis, perhaps, but for the teens I know that much money reflects many many hours of work.

Answer by Bmat at 9:28 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes, this money represents more than a year of work on her part and other than paying for her gas and the occassional 'fun' with her girlfriends, she has worked very hard to earn every penny.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• That was very inappropriate on his part.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:34 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I'm 18 and I lend my mom money all the time! I don't live with her [I live with my boyfriend and daughter] but I help pay her rent basically every month. She's been through some hard times and I really don't mind helping her out, after all she is my mother.
    I dont think it's a big deal, it's not like she's 7 and he robbed her piggy bank. She probobly feels good knowing she was able to help her family.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:35 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Wow, that's really low down of him!! I know when I was 17, working, and saving money, no way in heck was I gonna give my savings to my parents!! Unless there was like a life or death emergency or something... If he needs $2000, tell him to go to a bank where they'll charge interest and financing, etc. She didn't give it to him, right?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:35 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Very inappropriate.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• sounds like he would not pay her back, what a jerk. Very inappropriate.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:44 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Well she is 17 and it is HER money, so it is HER choice if she lends it to her dad. I don't think asking her was the best choice on his part, but it depends on the circumstances.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• If it was just a little amount it might not be so bad but for such a large amount I wouldn't think it was a greast idea. He makes way more money then she does. You have every right to be upset. I know I would be too!
    pun82224

Answer by pun82224 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It is iffy. I have been borrowing my parents money since I was 16. I don't see it as a problem, they raised me and supported me so if I can help them in time of need, I will gladly do so. Every year at taxes, I give them part of my return. I would ask why he needs the money, leave the decision to her and get the payment terms in writing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 25, 2009