BABY IS 3 DAYS OLD... BREASTFEEDING QUESTION

SO I JUST HAD MY FIRST BABY 3 DAYS AGO. PRETTY MUCH SINCE THE DAY I FOUND OUT I HAVE PREGNANT MY BREAST LEAKED, NOW THAT HE IS HERE MY BOOBS ARE HUGE AND HARD AS ROCKS BUT NOT MUCH IS COMMING OUT, IS THAT NORMAL. I JUST DONT FEEL LIKE WHEN I FEED HIM HE IS GETTING ENOUGH.

ALLIE637

Asked by ALLIE637 at 9:33 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is about the time when they are like that. Just Make sure you alternate. It will get better I promise.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Try massaging them a little before feeding to stimulate the milk flow. It'll be a little easier for him to start feeding and really learn how to do it and it'll help you feel a little more comfortable. Like the other poster said, make sure you alternate.

Good luck. :)
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 9:52 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• is there some brusing? If so its profbably just a cloged milk gland entirely normal. Massage your breast as the baby is feeding, alternate sides when feeding and if that still dosen't help much try using a pump for a while to help the flow.
    mamatobe1989

Answer by mamatobe1989 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• You can take a warm shower and massage them to relieve some of the pressure. You milk has come in and it will take a few days to regulate. If you have a breast pump you can pump and freeze it for later. I found it really helped if I fed on one side and pumped at the same time on the other breast.

Congratulation!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:03 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• A warmish-hot wash cloth on your breasts will help you let-down a bit less painfully. But as far as your milk coming in, it should be any day now. All day on day 3 (for me) my boobs seriously felt like they were full of chunks of gravel or something and it was very painful. But by that night, my milk had come in.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:18 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• if there hard there ful,do u pump also? if they are still hard after baby eats,try pumping a little too,and u can freeze or save the pumed milk.im a 1st time mom to and sucsfuly bf baby over a year,if u need any help later on email me with any ?'s
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:55 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• You are engorged. If baby is having a hard time latching on, express some milk with your hand to soften the nipple a bit. If you need to pump for pain relief do not pump past the point of relief or you will stimulate production. Warm showers help too, in my experience anyways.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 11:02 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• the best thing I think you can do is take a hot shower and concentrate a lot of the water on your boobs- that really helps me when I feel full. And no matter how much you can squeeze out, your baby's mouth is MUCH more effective at extracting all the milk he/she needs! Keep it up, you're doing great! You might still feel engorged for a while, but just keep up with the hot showers pretty often to loosen things up. Your body is still regulating how much milk your baby needs, and when your boobs feel "normal" again (not engorged), that means your body has just regulated how much milk you have, it doesn't mean you've "run out". Keep up the good work!!
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Take a hot shower. They are lifesavers. My son is 6 months old and I still do it from time to time. It helps SOO much with engorgement. And massaging it in the shower will help too.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Leaking or not leaking is not an indication of whether or not you can nurse. If you are nursing on demand, and changing around 6 diapers daily, then your baby is getting enough :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2009