elderly man passing blood in stool

My great grandfather is 85 and has been passing blood during his bowel movements. Not just in his stool, he is actually gushing blood. I know this could be a number of things but does anyone have any ideas of different things it could be? He is not complaining of any pain, just experiencing the blood, it came on very suddenly.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Health

• OP - my great grandma called my mom and said he's bleeding very bad. he's on blood thinners...but idk? someone please give me an idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It could be several things, but it is extremely important for him to go to the dr. It could be something minor like hemorrhoids or an anal fissure, or it could be the extreme colon cancer.
    Please get him to the dr asap.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:58 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Get him to the ER.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• If he is gushing blood, he should be rushed to the ER immediately!!!

He could have anal fissures, hemorrhoids, cancers and polyps of the rectum and colon, or diverticulosis! Any of which can cause a drop in blood pressure, leading to shock, due to blood loss!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• OP - they called the ambulance...I'm just trying to get an idea for myself. Today is my baby shower and I don't know what to do...I don't know if I should have them cancel last minute or wait and see what the doctors say...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• At this point I would wait and see what the doctors say. It could be something small. What time is the shower?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:11 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Well my mom and I have to be at the place by 1:15 and shower starts at 2
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• What time is where you are now? I would still wait and see. I would call and cancel by noon, if you decide to.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:17 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It's 10:30 here. I haven't gotten any more calls yet so I'm hoping for the best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Would you update us, when you find anything out. Either here or by pm, I promise not to reveal your identity.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:27 AM on Jul. 25, 2009