A child in my son's class has a peanut allergy...

He's going into kindergarten and they eat their lunch in their classroom, so no peanuts or peanut products are allowed in the classroom. Anybody have experience with this? Are things like Nutella or Sesame butter ok substitutes?

I want to give him a variety of different things to bring to school for lunch so I need lots ideas for lunches that don't consist of peanuts or peanut products too if anybody has any to share. Thanks!

whittear

Asked by whittear at 10:02 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in

• Nut free zones in schools are common. I emailed you a list of nut free lunches and sites. It was too long to post here. Hope it helps. And Bento Boxes are fantastic. I highly recommend them.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 11:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Our school has a no peanut rule as well. NO peanuts are allowed on school property. A lot of schools have just peanut free tables but this school has an entire school policy. I found it frustrating because I couldnt seem to get creative but I have heard Sun butter is good and anything that doesnt have any actual peanut products in it, should be okay. I learned that even though my kids wanted peanut butter, we found other things to eat at lunch. There wasnt any child in the school at that time with an allergy, but it was put into place many years ago for the whole district and its been there since, so they dont actually monitor who has an allergy and who doesnt. I personally feel for myself that if my child had an allergy where he couldnt even breathe the dust of peanut products in without a reaction, my child would nto be in public school. That would be my preference though. I feel the allergy is the parents responsibility.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:23 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My son's pre-k class had a child allergic to tree nuts, you just have to read the ingredients, usually they have bold letters marking the allergy information, you'd be surprised what you could finds nuts in, I found them in a type of cheese cracker, also the mother of the child would inspect all the packaging after we would bring it in, (we took turns bringing snack) She would make sure everyday that there was nothing her child could not eat.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• They have soy nut butter. My son is allergic to peanuts and eggs. He is also lactose intolerant. You can find soy nut butter in your local grocery stores health food section or your local organic health food store.
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My daughter has a food allergy as well but its not a common one so I am comfortable sending her to school We have a no peanut product rule in that only for the stuff parents bring from home for parties and what not. i think its cause the stuff in the cafeteria is already made allergen free for the kids who need it!
    I saw somewhere there is a peanut allergy website that if i remember correctly gives recipes for lunches and whatnot as alternatives to peanuts!! hth
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 11:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i have never heard of a school forbidding peanuts at all in the school. at my daughter's school they are really adamant about knowing who has allergies, my daughter is allergic to strawberries, the cafeteria had a notice not to let her get anything with strawberries, the teacher had a notice also, and i don't think it should only be the parents responsibility, how responsible would it be not to notify the school, especially if the child had a reaction bcuz the parents didn't notify them? Although mistakes happen bcuz one time a new person in the cafeteria didn't read the notices and gave my child strawberry jam (they eat in there classrooms) and the teacher caught it before she ate it bcuz she was notified. Allergic reactions are serious conditions for children and any all precautions should be taken, peanut allergies i think are more of the serious ones that could result in death, my dd has to have an epi-pen at school
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• btw, sorry i don't really have any offers about alternatives to peanut products, i think though that its a good idea about having rules of what children can bring to school for snacks/lunch because sometimes kids trade food items in good intentions, and i don't think all kids realize that someone might have an allergy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I would go with sunflower butter or soynut butter

Answer by rkoloms at 11:38 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Nutella is a nut product, it is chocolate hazelnut. So, I don't think it would be a good substitute. Read ingredient lists, there is peanuts or tree nuts in a lot of products that you wouldn't think it would have nuts. A peanut or nut allergy can be deadly and people do NOT outgrow nut allergies like they can with other allergies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• By the way, I have a long list of bagged lunch ideas. If you send me a message offlist, I will be happy to forward a copy to you.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:23 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

Next question in
Homeschooling Question.

Next question overall (Health)
elderly man passing blood in stool