Pagan and Atheist/Agnostic...

Is it possible to be Pagan and Agnostic or Pagan and Atheist?

Not in the sense that technically Agnostics and Atheist fall under the definition of Pagan given how proud the definition is but to actually follow the beliefs/practices of both.

*If all you have to add is that any of these beliefs are wrong, Jesus is the only way, etc please take it somewhere else this post definitely isn't for you.*

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 10:18 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sure, I guess so. Anything's possible. Just like some people are Christian and Pagan at the same time.

hazeldove is a spiritual pagan atheist, I believe. Maybe she'll be around to answer =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:33 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes I would think so, techinicallly they dont contridict each other.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 10:33 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think so. For example, you can honor the Earth, Nature, & Natural cycles without a belief in or with a questioning belief in a Higher Power.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:38 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Sure because you dont have to do rituals you could just honor and respect nature and all it has to offer,etc.
    You could also believe in paranormal stuff and not be sure of diety or believe in diety at all.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't think they need to be contradictory. As someone else pointed out, you could revere nature without viewing nature as deity or without beliving in a first cause behind nature. Or you could honour gods and goddesses while viewing them as symbolic of nature/human nature or what have you without necessarily viewing them as literal truths. I'm Buddhist rather than Pagan, but enjoy a lot of the Tibetan Buddhist and Hindu imagery without necessarily believing that there actually exists a Ganesh with the head of an elephant or the goddess Tara with eyes in the palms of her hands to see the suffering of the world. I do think it's possibly to relate to gods/goddesses as mythological constructs representing an otherwise intangible construct while still being atheist or agnostic. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:08 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes, I am a nontheistic pagan. My spirituality is centered around reverence for nature which sustains us in a very concrete way, and reverence for the beauty of our home Earth.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes you can be. Some Pagans believe that there are no conscious gods that exist, there is just energy that is embodied by the Earth (and/or) the Universe that people break down into gods in order to make sense of it & work with it. The God or gods (male) can be simply understood as masculine energy, the Goddess(es) as feminine energy. That is not that uncommon & would fall under the definition of atheism or agnosticism (if the belief is that there could be conscious gods behind these energies, but it can't be determined). Paganism does not require you believe the gods exist, though obviously some traditions do.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My "teacher"/only Pagan friend considers himself Agnostic Pagan, and I'm starting to kind of see where he's coming from. At first it really confused me, though lol. It's hard to explain why, but yes I do think it's possible.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Sure, being Athiest simply means you don't believe in GOD. It doesn't mean that you don't believe in spiritual or unseen energy. And Agnostic simply means you question the existance of GOD. You can easily be Pagan and not have a strong belief (or any belief) in God...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• yes it is possible..

and cait is right.. I am.

I believe in a form of an afterlife.. but that form is an energy. I believe everything has this energy (this is also a scientific fact). Where it varies from science, is that I believe these energies make up our spirits. I don't however believe in an energy with humanistic characteristics that many call Gods. I believe there is an energy there that holds us together, that we can draw from it. But it is not something that gives freely. It's more of a natural element. For more information, feel free to pm me. I also have a book or two that may help you better understand if you are interested.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009