Have any of you ever had another child's parent sign a waiver...

when the child was coming to your house to play? My husband is building a tree house in our back yard. The neighbor boy is really excited about it. The thing is, this little boy (he is 5) does not listen at all. We don't mind him coming over and playing when we are home. We have sent him home before when he doesn't follow our rules in our yard. We are just worried about him coming over when we are not home and getting in the tree house, falling off or whatever. Or even when we are home, just not listening to us and jumping off and getting hurt (it is about 6ft up). We were thinking of having his parents sign a waiver saying if he got hurt that we are not responsible. I was just wondering if anyone ever had another parent do this or if you have ever signed a waiver for your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• You might be able to just post a sign that says something along those lines in your yard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I would not have them sign anything not drafted by a lawyer. Also, if he is not invited, it is tresspassing, and his parents would be responsible. Ultimately, they are always responsible unless they've asked you to watch him.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:06 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I would do the following: sit down with the parents and explain the situation, then go to the lawyer and draw up a waiver then have the parents sign and then post a sign along the lines of either no trespassing or paly at own risk etc and then hope for the best. Its not your responsibility to provide a play space for their son especially if he doesnt listen
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 11:15 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• When I was younger our neighbors got a trampoline. They had a lawyer draw up a liability waiver stating that they are not resposible for accidents and that each parent is responsible for their own childs safety while on the trampoline. They also posted a sign saying "jump at your own risk." This is similar to what hotels use to realease them from liability with swimming pools with no lifeguard on duty.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 11:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• you know what is MORE scary? that neighbor boy there alone when you're on vacation or at the mall.... double check your renters or homeowners insurance about that.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• IDK about treehouses or trampolines - but where we live in FL trespassing laws or not; you still have to have a locked fence with a gate or cage around your pool with handles that are mounted higher than 'standard' so kids can not gain access to your pools; county ordinances or something - along with your homeowners insurance you might want to check with your city or county to see if there are any regulations as well...

Hope it's not too difficult; sounds like fun!

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I'd sit down with the parents of the boy and tell them you don't want their son in your yard when ya'll aren't there. This is for HIS safety. Do you have a fenced in yard? If you do, put a lock on it when you're gone. We have a pool and last year we had a problem with a little girl on our street who was permitted to run wild all over the neighborhood and I was terrified she'd get in the pool when we weren't home so we got bicycle locks for our fence and kept the gate locked most of the time, even when we were home, but most definitely when we weren't!! I'd tell the parents that he's not allowed to come play at your house if he doesn't follow the rules. I've had to lay down ground rules for kids playing at our house and most definitely swimming in our pool, and if they don't follow the rules, they go home.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• When my son got his go cart last year we spoke to his friends parents and then we had them sign a waiver stating that we were not responsible if they got hurt before they were allowed to ride in it or drive it. I wanted to cover my butt if they decided to do something stupid, (like most teenage boys will).
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 25, 2009