Should I breastfeed?

I'm way overweight. I have 3 children and one more on the way. I have never breastfed but since this is my last child I would like to try. I was just wondering since i'm overweight and not healthy would my milk be healthy for the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. Your breastmilk is PERFECT and MADE FOR your baby. As long as you don't excesivly drink/do drugs/smoke, then go for it. It's so much easier than formula feeding, and since it's your last, I'd take the oppertunity to take advantage of it. Unless there's no medical problems that your ob says that you can't, do it!
    BTW, I don't know how much 'way overweight is,' but I'm considered 'obese' for my height (5 5 and about 220) and I don't have any problems at all! It's the best decision I could have made for myself and my daughter. Trust me, you won't regret it! There are issues, but CafeMom is a great place to go, and you can IM me if you ever need help!

-Proud mama to Rylee- 9 months and going strong!!
    lissa_is_preggo

Answer by lissa_is_preggo at 11:30 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• no matter what you eat, your milk will be perfect for baby
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I agree with Lissa and Aguerra- I BF my 4 month old and I'm waaay overweight (like 290 lbs). I still eat some junkfood, but I eat some healthy stuff, too (lots of fruits and veggies and meat). Especially if you have higher genetic risk in your fam for obesity and diabetes, breastfeeding is the best thing you could do for your baby. It may also help you lose weight and it will lower your risk or breast (and other) cancers.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• When you have a child, you have an obligation to always do what is best for the child. Definitely breastfeed; take a breastfeeding class; read up on breast feeding; find a local La Lache League chapter.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:53 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• heres the GREAT thing about breastfeeding...not only will your milk be perfect no matter your diet BUT it will also help you lose weight...not always but it does burn calories more than not breastfeeding.

Heres info on diet and BFing
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html

Breastmilk is so easy for a baby to diet, its not synthetic so its very easily absorbed, no worrying about whether your milk has enough vitamins or if baby got enough nutrients. NO getting up to make bottles, no carryingf ormula or bottles or water with you anywhere, no warming anything.

Bfing isn't easy for everyone in the beginning, its a learning process just like anything. BUT there people who will help like Lactation consultants, and a group called La LEche league...LLL is free and a support group for BFing moms, LCs are free at the hospital you deliever at usually and you can call them anytime.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• The milk would be healthy.
    And give it a shot! Try for several weeks and see how it works out for you... the milk will be there anyway, might as well try. Make a goal of something like 12 weeks and then choose. By then you should have it down and it should be going well (sometimes it takes a few weeks to really feel good about it)
    I really enjoyed breastfeeding my son later on (we had a rough start but I stuck it out)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:41 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I would definitely meet with a lactation consultant at the hospital. I breastfed all 4 of my children, but with the last one I had some issues due to complications with the delivery and had to use a supplementer because my milk wasn't coming in. Anyway, even though I had successfullly breastfed my first 3 children, the lactation consultant was still able to give me some great tips and support.

Answer by missanc at 12:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I am a firm believer that EVERY woman who is physically able to, should breastfeed. Get in touch with your local LLL and start attending meetings, they are a great resource. You being overweight will not make your milk unhealthy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Another overweight breastfeeding mom here - my baby girl is perfectly healthy & happy. As a bonus, breastfeeding can help you lose weight, too, if you want. Just be careful not to lose too much, too fast.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 4:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2009