Inch long white things in dog water?

I noticed them yesterday so I bleached the bowl and refilled it. Then today I noticed a piece of something that looked like poop, I got a piece of paper to dig it out and it busted and they were a whole bunch of the little white things. They look like tape worms. But I don't know how they are getting in the water.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Pets

• I would probably take a poop sample in to my vet. Not sure how they are getting in the water, though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Sounds like egg sacs, alright. I'd say your dog has tapeworms. The egg sacs like to move around the hind end when they are excreted and of course animals clean themselves. I'd say the dog has them around his/her mouth when they are drinking and some get in the water. Your vet can take care of the problem with a pill or two.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Agree with Michiganmom116, sounds like egg sacs from a tapeworm. Your vet can give you something, also you can go to your local pet store and pick up some tablets from them for like $24 that will cure it. I would keep him/her outside if you can or in a garage area bc there will be a bit of diarrhea when the tapeworms die!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 3:15 PM on Jul. 25, 2009