How old for the top bunk?

I've been thinking ahead some for some time now that we are going to need a bunk bed space wise with two kids. When this one is born my oldest will be 2. The median age for "kicking" kids out of our bed has been around 20 months. When kid #2's time to go comes up our oldest will be 4. Is that old enough to sleep on the top bunk (with a railing of course).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• my oldest was 4 and my middle child was 2 when we put them in bunk beds the "recommended" age is 6. we had no problems with the bunks as far as anyone gettin hurt or fallin off if you think your kids are ready then go for it it really all depends on the motor skills and maturity of the child and only you would know that good luck =)
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:41 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think it is old enough. You could also try a trundle bed. This is a normal height bed with another that pulls out from underneath. http://images.google.com/images?q=trundle%20bed&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think it is a little young. My son still falls out of bed and he is 9. You need to think about sleep patterns. My son is a tosser. If that is the case you might want to wait.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My son was 4 when he slept in the top bunk
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2009