Drinking milk?

I'm trying to transition my daughter from formula to milk but it's just not working. She wont have anything to do with it she'll just spit it out. I even tried to warm it up but its not working. Is it abslutley neccessary for her to drink milk. I know she needs to drink it for the calcium but I'm sure I can find other means for her to get her calcium. Do you have any ideas on how to get her to enjoy milk?

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am sure u r not supposed to do this so dont think I am a bad mom for doing so but I used to put a couple scoops of formula in the milk. Eek its sounds bad but I only did it a couple times and it worked, now she enjoys cows milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• She is not a baby cow, she does not need milk. There are much better sources of calcium. Copy and paste this link for more information:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 11:51 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• that's not a bad idea anon. You could also try soy milk. The vanilla is very yummy. Yogurt is good too.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• There are better ways to get calcium than milk, orange juice made for kids has tons of it, cheese, yogurt, pudding, leafy greens ...all great source, some beans including soy beans have calcium.

Oh and cans of spagetti os and ravioli often have it added to it.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• my kids love soymilk. we get the plain silk for bone and brain health. the vanilla is a little too sweet for our taste. soymilk has a ton more vitamins than cows milk. and just like rklomos said our chilren are not baby cows!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• When I transistioned my oldest I started with 1oz of milk to 3 oz of formula. I slowly upped the milk and down the formula until it was just milk.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• im having the same problem my motherin law keeps saying put her on soy,,but i want to try 2% and skim 1st.i was also told to put kayro in it but am not tryingt hat,i can get her to drink a little if i put strawberry stuff in it
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:21 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Cow's milk is not necessary for humans. It is a convenient source of calcium and some vitamins, but you can get that from the right foods.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• you people are nuts start her off on low fat milk the blue top then work your way to yellow top then the green top and then the red top if that doesn't work maybe try soy milk! good luck and mix formula and regular milk is in possible it will curdle your babies tummy and it is not good bad idea!!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• ohmama213, who is nuts, and why?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2009