Baby food?

My daughter is 11 months old and still eating baby food. I want her off of the jar food by her first birthday but its becoming difficult. She only likes table food if I feed it to her off my plate and she wont eat much of it. I'm afriad to only feed her table food because I'm worried she wont be eating enough? Any ideas?

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get a food mill (or grinder) and grind the table food up to feed her. You can add water to make it thinner and gradually add less, then gradually make it chunkier. You can order them online at Target or on ebay. I can't remember the brand that I had, but it was white with teal green lettering on it. I made all of my kids baby food, they never had jar food and this is what we did when they were around this age. Also buy (and make) baby friendly foods to feed her, like yogurt, we would get chunk cheese and slice little pieces off and let her gum them, they dissolve pretty easily. You can buy a big jar of unsweetened apple sauce for way cheaper than baby food applesauce.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• About the food grinder....you can grind up anything that you are eating. Meats, pasta, veggies, anything.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I just remembered it was called...Kidco food mill.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• She's still nursing or on formula, right? Well, solids aren't her main source of nutrition anyway, so if she doesn't eat for a few days it won't be a big deal. Just put food on her tray that she can pick up and let her have at. She might not eat it right away, but that's okay! Just offer more again the next time... don't make a big deal out of it, just go about eating like you usually do.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Baby food is still nutritious, even if an adult wanted to eat it (I had to when I got my teeth pulled and my jaw had surgery done.) As long as she is getting her fill and eating, then really you're fine. Plus, she should still be on some form of "milk" like formula or breastfeeding... that is her main nutrition currently. Introduce her to new things, but don't fret if she doesn't want them. Does she have teeth? Maybe her problem is that it is "too" chunky and she cannot figure out how to use her teeth yet. Go slow. Even if she is still on mushed foods after 12 months, it's not a big deal. Some kids just like the texture of mushed foods better than the process of having to chew (I know some adults this way too! LOL!)
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 1:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2009