Is the workplace getting a little TOO sensitive? WARNING - ADULT LANGUAGE

My husband works in the field with all men. In this part of the country Spanish speaking Americans often outnumber those who speak only English. My husband is at work - a group of men (about 10) are gathered up talking. A Mexican-American is speaking to the group - In English. My husband is only one of two white men standing there. Suddenly the Mexican-American goes from speaking English to speaking Spanish. My husband turned to the other white man and remarked " Holy shi!, That mother fu3ker just ran out of English!"

I laughed my a33 off when I heard that - but a week later my husband was reprimanded for "making racially disparaging remarks". My husband is not racist - and I don't think his remark was either. But maybe I'm wearing rose colored glasses.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am a 4th generation Mexican American I happen to be able to speak spanish just cuz I took 4 years in h/s and because my American born grandma who spoke english only wanted to speak spanish. I said all that because I think the ability to speak a foreign language is an ability you must learn and shouldn't be a barrier. I am tired of minorities whining about every little thing. It was a funny joke that is all it was. And guess what men cuss so what. This thing about always trying to be politically correct and walking around on egg shells is getting old. That is one of the things wrong with this country some people are too fragile what happened to the backbone of these people.

Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't think it was appropriate, but I also do think the workplace is often times filled with adults who act like children and run to their boss right away and more or less tattle. My job if FILLED with people like that and it is so irritating. I mean come on, how old are we? Can't we just be adults and say something ourselves, like "I was offended?" I guess not. I could see if it was an ongoing thing, but if it wasn't, than yes, it was childish.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 11:43 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• By the way I think that was freakin' hilarious!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 11:44 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i think its hilarious! The remark itself is not racist...If anything your husband should be offended that mid conversation he switched to spanish. :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:45 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• That is funny! And if someone is offended by that I think they should go to the person who said it not to the boss. I hate when people do that.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 11:46 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• OMG, I dont think that is racist at all. Actually it is usually punishable if larger groups speak in another language in a english speaking company. I used to work with people from a diff country and they would always talk shit about me in their language, I told the boss. The boss told them it is not right to talk in their language around people who do not, and one of them answered "its like a sneeze it just came out" the boss said that this is no longer her place of work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• The mother f'er was a bit much. Otherwise it was funny. I can see how some may be offended but I wouldn't. Kind of on the line without crossing. I think your husband may have been feeling left out if he doesn't speak Spanish and was possibly trying to express this with a joke.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• For 30 years I worked with all men (only girl-women), so they would curse, say unflattering stuff about other women,even though I'm right there, when I first started, it did offend me, but after hearing it all from guys, you get use to it, as long as its not brought your way. I was just one of the guys, but I never went to the boss about it. It was like having a room of 15 guys as your brothers, they did protect me if needed. I don't like the part of talking a different laung. then English when working,and that was wrong. I would have answer the same as the husband,he should not have gotten in trouble for saying so, the one's that talked Spanish in a work place,should have recieved the warning.
    Somma

Answer by Somma at 12:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I thought the remark was witty but have to agree the workplace is a not the place and people do often get offended or are sensitive to those sorts of remarks.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i don't mind you speak whatever langu. in your own home, out on the street, to each other -out of ear shot,but not in the work place. This is the US- and this is where you speak English,and if you can't speak,read,write English to work here, then you should not be offended by the people you work with that do speak English
    Anonymous