meal ideas for picky toddler?

My son only eats mac n cheese (pasta), ckn nuggets, the occasional hot dog and fruit. My vain efforts to feed him what we are eating usually end up with giving him one of his foods. But I still keep trying new stuff on him particularly meals with veggies mixed in. During the winter I usually try casseroles but it's just too hot to turn on the oven now. Any food suggestions would be great? thx

criglet

Asked by criglet at 11:55 AM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• If u want him to eat more veggies try veggie chicken nuggets they are great and tast just like chicken nuggets. Or make funny faces with veggies before u give them to him.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:59 AM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My son was the same way at one point. I recommend getting the book Just Two More Bites (you can find it at BarnesandNoble.com). I bought it and it REALLY helped. It gave some great ideas on how to get your child to try almost anything you make, as well as recipe ideas.
    GabriellaM

Answer by GabriellaM at 12:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• First of all, stop buying "his foods". I promise that he will not starve. You got him into this awful rut, and you need to get him out of it. By the end of next year, one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight; one third of American children will develop type 2 diabetes; you have a responsibility to raise a healthy child.
    Start by setting a great example: every day you should be eating 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables, in at least 3 different colors; 5-6 servings of whole grains a day; at least 2 servings of legumes a day.
    We have the 3 bite rule: after trying three bites of everything on your plate, if you don't like the meal, you may prepare toast with cashew butter and honey with an apple; no exceptions!
    Kids love to dip! cut fruit in yogurt or fruit sauce, fresh veggies in hummus or salad dressing; whole wheat pasta & steamed veggies with peanut, cheese or marinara sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 12:15 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Kids love to cook. Take your son to the library and check out a kids cookbook (my favorite is called Pretend Soup), or look at a kids cooking website, like www.spatulatta.com. Your son will be so proud to prepare a meal for the famiy.

Let you son pick out a new vegetable to introduce to the family.

I have a ton of health, tasty, family and budget friendly recipes; send me a message if you would like som.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:18 AM on Jul. 26, 2009