Bad mom?

I took my two kids out to pizza for dinner. The kids wanted to play games and I gave them some money. They used it and wanted more money. I always give them only 2 quarters. They started whinning and throwing a fit. I warned we would get the pizza to go if they did not start behaving. I did not use the best tone, but I was not losing control. The pizza came and we ate the pizza. I was reading an important email on my phone while eating. The kids were bothering each other but acting pretty good for them. A woman from another table came up to me and said, "If you spent half the time with your kids that you did on your phone......" I was so shocked and told her to mind her own business. She said, "You have been on the phone the whole time." I repeated what I had said and went back to my phone. She left with the man she was with. MY kids are on the austim spectrum, but can be much worse.

jthor

Asked by jthor at 12:15 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dont know you or your lifestyle.........but in my home we have dinner together "important emails" go unread. Sometimes I think that the younger genertion of parents are to wrapped up in technology. I came from a time when having a cell phone was not the norm. Im not yelling at you, Im just telling you that sometimes you just need to turn the electronics off.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• No, it was none of her business. I talk on my phone as well sometimes while out with the kids. As long as they are happy and content and entertained what does it matter?
    Anonymous

• I think it was none of her business.

If you do it all the time then it could be a little sad because all of you (kids and you) are missing out on quality time together. But with that said, there is so many worse things you could be doing to your kids then being distracted by your cell phone.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 12:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I have done things like that before but NOW i have a rule no answering the phone or texting during dinner. It was wrong of her to do that.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• well, whether or not you should or shouldn't have been checking your email was not the issue, it was none of her business what you were doing, i mean you were in a pizza place with games, meant for kids, not a five star restaurant by any means, and you weren't beating your kids or anything so she should mind her own business... whether you spend enough time with your kids or use the phone too much.... that's for you to think about and decide for yourself.
    treehugger823

Answer by treehugger823 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• She should have minded her own business but was it really something you needed to do at that time? I understand her side as well.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Unless her nosey self came down from a cloud to tell you that well no it was none of her business. I know when my children were young there was never enough time to do anything it seemed like especially anything for myself. Just for your own sake step back and remember they do grow up so very quickly and the older they get the less time they want to spend with you.

Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I hate people like that and I am sorry. First, while we don't know you, no one has the right to be so rude. So what people? So what if someone is not paying attention to their child at a meal! Okay look....here's the deal: Maybe 99% of the time you are completely zoned in on them. She doesn't know that. We don't know if you never pay attention to them. Point is that it is not anyone's business and she was being rude. She has, unfortunately, the right to be rude. No law against poor manners and no class. We have to keep in mind every single persona has a bad day or a bad after noon. Sometimes, for your own sanity, you need a few minutes where ever you can pull those from. Know she was in the wrong and forget about it. Take the high road: smile and tell her to have a blessed day. No need to be shocked or give your kids reason to think you are bothered by her. I give my kid crayons and cars so I can read in peace.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• She should only be expecting the balance due. You as a parent  YOU should have stepped up right away with the entire amount. Then make your boy work it off at home or pay you in installments. In the real world "sorry" isn't good enough--one must make restitution. You should know this and should not have made your neighbor wait for your kids to come up with the money.

Anonymous

• Sorry about the above answer anon 2:34. It was to a different post but somehow appeared under this question. Please disregard.

Anonymous