Is my neighbor trying to get ***** me?

A few months back, my son accidentally broke an Xbox game of my neighbors son. Since then, more often than need be, she makes it a point 2 tell my son he owes her son $60 b/c HE (her son) bought it w HIS $ BRAND NEW & she calls herself giving my son a "BREAK" b/c it actually cost $71 & some change. My son went on a field trip & my mom gave him $10 but he gave it 2 my neighbors son as part of what he owes toward his game. His mom knew that the $10 came from my mom & what for & she let her son take it ne way. Was that right or wrong? Also, @ 1st, she wanted my son 2 replace the game & b/c her son couldn't w8 until I had the $ 2, HE REPLACED IT 4 $25 (again, W HIS OWN $). Now she's asking me for the whole rest of the $50 that's left from the orig. $60. Should she be asking me to replace a $60 game IN FULL (meaning 4the whole $60) or should she only b able to ask for $35 which is the diff between the $25 & $60 that was orig. paid

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• She should only be expecting the difference at this point, but then I would expect you to just offer up the cash when you know your son was in the wrong in the first place. I don't see what difference it makes where he got the money from that he used to pay for damage he caused.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't get it. He replaced the actual game already or is giving small amounts until he has replaced the whole amount?
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Grrrrrr. I understand that she wants it replaced..I would also..BUT i would never go to the child or threw the child. If her some broke something Im sure you would want it replaced right? I would just go buy the game used and give it to them. Get it over with. She is acting pretty childish over a video game.AND was wrong to take money from you son. Again she should have came to you...

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think you probably should've just paid the whole $60 all at once as soon as the game was broken (or shortly afterwards as soon as you had the cash). Sure, accidents happen, but would you not expect the same in return? I don't see why the two boys were ever that involved. The mother should not be talking to your son about it, she should be speaking to you and vice versa, IMO.
    Anonymous

• Your son did break the game, so he should be responsible and buy a replacement for it or pay for it. I think your neighbor is out of line to hound your son and demand money from him.... she SHOULD have talked to you at the time of the incident about what happened and how to make it right (wether you give the $ or buy a replacement game).
    As for what he owes- my opinion is that you would owe what he paid on the relacement game.
    I hope that all works out!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• If I were you I would have just went out and bought a new game. And gave it to her, without the receipt.

Answer by louise2 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I didn't get a chace to replace the game b/c since her son already did, now she wants the $50 cash (b/c my son already gave her $10). And yes I understand that where the $ came from or what it was for is irrelevant, but maybe it's just me b/c I wouldn't or couldn't do it. IMO, I should only owe her the diff @ this point 2 which would be $15 b/c of the $10 my son already gae her,but she's insisting that I pay her the WHOLE $50. And yes, she should be coming to me, but she still brings it up to him what he owes her son.
    Anonymous

• Personally, if $25 is the replacement value of the game, then that is all you should have to pay, especially since the child couldn't wait & went out and purchased it himself. If you total your car, you get the replacement value, not the value as if it were new, right? Why should it be any different with a video game? The game is replaced, it works, the kid is happy with the used version of the game, end of story.

As for the $10, that depends. Was the money to be specifically used on the field trip or was it your son's to do with as he liked? If it was his to use as he wanted, then delaying personal gratification & paying down a debt was a very responsible thing for him to do.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Also, it was good enough for her son to replace it with a used game, but she wanted my son to replace it BRAND NEW. Does it really make a difference? IMO NO
    Anonymous

• I think the games only cost $40...you should go to the store see what the actual cost is new and pay her what is owed minus the $10. You should only have to pay what it cost to replace not what she (or says she) paid for it. Don't take her word for it by the way she is hounding it sounds like she may be trying to make a profit. Stand up and don't let you and your son get bullied!!!
    ormom1977

Answer by ormom1977 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2009