Cow milk/soy milk and constipation?

I started my 13 month old on small amounts of cow's milk a few months ago and have gradually increased the amount, while decreasing his formula. I have noticed that his stool is getting harder and he is straining more to pass it.

I noticed on another post moms were recommending soy milk. Does soy milk cause the same problem with constipation that cow's milk does?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 12:17 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know anything about soy milk. I do know that no one NEEDS to drink milk. If it is creating a problem, don't give it and give other foods that have calcium.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 3:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My son doesn't do well with cows milk either.

There is a lot of controversy over soy milk. Some say it's super good for you, others say that there are high estrogen levels and lots of sugar. There are constant studies being done on it.

We give our son rice milk. He loves it but as far as it having the same nutrients as cows milk goes...well it doesn't. He gets calcium from other things he eats. Broccoli, yogurt, oranges, cheese, etc...

Another option which will likely be the most expensive, but is probably the healthiest is almond milk. It's full of nutrients and vitamins, just pricey.

Another thing we do is when making my son chicken fingers(his favorite) instead of using bread crumbs to coat the chicken we use almond meal. It's really tasty!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009