Was this too mean?

The kids in my neighborhood all play at eachother's houses through out the day. Sometimes when they are in my back yard, they ask for water, which I have no problem giving them. There are 7 kids in all including my almost 9 year old son (all ages 7-11). When they ask for water, I give them all their own cups with their names written on it. I ask them to put the cups back on the porch when they are done so they can reuse them. I get tired of going thru a pack of cups a day. 2 of the boys constantly throw their trash in my yard, including the cups that I ask them to return to the porch. So today when one of those boys asked me for water, I told him to go home and get it. That I'm tired of cleaning up after him even when i ask repeatedly that he return his cup to my porch. he acted appalled that I told him to go home. Am i being too harsh?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't let anyone play or bring out water until the yard was trash free.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• This is what concerns me most about my oldest son (he's nearly 8) playing with the neighborhood boys. Its easy to keep your kids using their manners when you're with them, but you just never know how they're acting when they're not. If I were this child's mother, I would be grateful you were showing that yes, others demand respect in their homes as well. It also sends a message to the other boys that you aren't going to tolerate them treating your yard like their own personal trash can.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• No but I think I would have told him the rules were that if he does not return the cup he wont get any the next time he asks.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• good idea hibbingmom! lol yea make them clean it up
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 12:39 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It doesn't sound it to me.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• OP, here....thank you ladies so much, you all are awesome. All great ideas. After I told him no, I felt bad but I would ask no less of my own children. They all know the rules, I remind them everytime to put their cups back on the porch. For the past week, i've been telling them if the cups don't come back, neither will the water. I guess they know I'm serious now.
    Anonymous