• In the Spotlight:

does it annoy you when people how never had kids or been around kids tell you how to raise yours?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yep, it bugs me and I tell them until you have kids pls keep your opinions to yourself.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 1:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• *who not how
    Anonymous

• It annoys me when people tell me how to raise my children in general. Even the ones who has kids that turn into horrible mothers.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes it annoys me to no end! My sister was pregnant about the same time I was, and she aborted her baby as soon as she could, yet she always tells me what I should do with my daughter. In my head, I'm thinking, "if you wanted to be the mother so bad, you shoulda kept yours!"
    Anonymous

• lol of course...because I am the Expert of raising my child...and I have no problems telling then to buzz off...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 12:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes. My SIL is the worst at this. She justifies her opinions because she has seen nieces and nephews raised. Sorry sweetie....so not the same.
    Anonymous

• Yep, but then it also annoys me when someone who only has experience with children younger than mine think they know all about raising a child that's older just because they've given birth. Sorry, but having a baby last week doesn't mean you understand what an 8 year old is like, or what discipline/punishments are needed, or what behaviors are considered normal until you've been there.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• never discount the observations of others. Their knowledge can be combined with what you already know and can be an asset. I used to think nuns shouldn't teach sex ed but then I saw that nun on tv and I learned a lot from her. Just bc ppl don't experience things doesn't mean they don't know their stuff. Listen and learn. What you decide to do with your child (with the exception of abuse of course) is your own business but it never hurts to listen to what others have to say.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:39 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i dunno... depends on who the person is. If they say my child is running around like a wild child and he is... then no it won't make me mad. But if they tell me that I need to be stricter or less strict then yes that will bother me
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I've gotten better at blowing it off when they do that. I'm surprised even writing that, but somehow its true. The exception is when privately I already agree with what they're saying. Those instances trigger intense guilt, but its not really the other person and what they are saying, as much as its my own internal awareness that I've screwed up.
    krnrobey803

Answer by krnrobey803 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2009