I don't understand something...

Why, for so many people, does the fact that bad things happen in the World automatically mean that there is no God or that he isn't all powerful or that he doesn't care about us etc.? Why is it that so many people's belief in God is contingent upon everything being all sunshine and roses? Why does the World have to be a perfect place before some people will believe and have Faith that there is a Higher Being who does care about them and who does love them etc.?

I just don't understand that. Bad things happen because there's evil in the world, there's sin, there's selfishness, there's Satan... Maybe I just can't understand because I do have Faith...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because we project our finite logic and reasoning onto an infinite and perfect being. When we humanize God and pull him down onto our level and think "well if I were God, I would do X or X instead," we miss the point. We can never know what it is like to be God or what we would or wouldn't do if we were him. I liken it to swearing that the earth is flat because of what you are able to see by standing and looking around. We have to remember that God sees it ALL, everything at once. I'd rather put faith in him, an omniscient, omnipresent and omnipowerful being than myself, who only has a view of the world and the things around me from where I'm standing.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't know, I do not have that belief but I also do not believe that there is evil in the world because of Satan.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 12:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't know why people blame god. I'm agnostic but I feel that people make the world bad, it has nothing to do with a higher being or a god. Not everything is truly sunshine and roses and imo it's because people carry hate and because of religious differences that there is evil lurking in this world. The best thing we can do to be positive role models for our children and hope that they have a good life without any suffering
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 12:45 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• They don't realize that sometimes, like Job we are tested. Also He allows things to happen too because we have left Him out of our daily lives in some way. Now as a nation allowing all this different gods in - He is slowly turning His back as we continue to travel away from His word.
    JonesboroGypsy

Answer by JonesboroGypsy at 12:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2009