(Christians)when your religion or beliefs are repeatedly attacked and repeatedly false statements are made

what do you do? Do you tirelessly explain again and again or do you hung up your hat with the acceptance the person just doesn't want to understand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I only explain things to people that I feel truly want to know or want to be enlightened. I don't expect them to accept and believe what I've said. But I won't explain something to someone that is obviously not interested in learning and just wants to be offensive either.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My religion is just that..my religion. I don't force it on anyone. I am Methodist and I simply believe that religion should be simple. You either believe in Jesus or not. Why make it hard when it's truly not. And, if someone attacks me, I just tell them I'm already saved and leave it at that. I don't listen to attacks...I have to much to do and living to do then to defend my religion. I am what I am and if a person can not accept me for me..not my problem. Just a KISS===which means Keep It Simple, it's Stupid.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 12:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• IMO, you can't view it as a "lost cause" automatically, but after a while there does come a point when it's clear that you are not and will not get through to an individual and then it's ok to say "enough is enough, I give up." Any time you have the opportunity to share what your religion or beliefs are REALLY about, you should definitely give it your best shot so to speak, because you never know who you may be connecting with on the other end (especially in a forum like this) even if it's not your intended target. It can get exasperating constantly sticking up for your beliefs or correcting and explaining the same misconceptions over and over, but I try to keep that in mind when I'm feeling like there's no point. There IS a point, there is a reason you are there right at that moment.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I see it as a blessing. There are no chance meetings and if someone wants to know about my Lord then I let them know how great my God is. Thats simple. I never feel like I am forcing my beliefs I see it as an opportunity to let people know about the love of God. I see it like this if you see someone in a burning house you would do whatever you could to get them out. I have this Savior who went thru literal hell for me that's how much He loves you too.
    Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I agree. My neighbor and I used to sit in her backyard and talk about the bible all the time. That's fellowship. If people want to talk about religion, that's fine. But, sometimes I just get really tired of people trying to put their religion down my throat as if their religion is the only way. It's simple. do you believe or not. Do you know what will happen if you don't? Do you know where you will spend eternity? Do you know that the life he gave for you is also a way for you to celebrate your life? I just KISS IT.   Keep It Simple, it's Stupid.  And, I agree with another poster....if you met someone or someone has been put into your life..you have an affect on them. I hope for positive affect.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 1:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It really depends on the person. If I sense that it is genuine ignorance and they just don't know then I'll explane, but many times it's just plain hostile.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I simply answer the question in my own words and opinions. They can agree with me, ask for more detail, or disagree. If they choose to disagree with me, then fine. I will not spend my time and energy trying to make them understand my perspective. This goes for everything, not just about faith and beliefs. My mother and I totally dont even live on the same page of the book of life, but I cannot make her understand my perspective and I certainly dont get her and why she does some of the things she does. I dont change how I view the world based on others opinions, and I am not likely to allow others to change my mind, but I will accept that they dont understand how I view it and likely wont. Its fine.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• what do you do? Do you tirelessly explain again and again or do you hung up your hat with the acceptance the person just doesn't want to understand

Somethings I understand that unbelievers will not not get it unless they are truly trying to find out who Jesus is. Only God can open a person's understanding who he is.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Depends on the situation. With individuals who will not listen it doesn't make sense to waste my time. In forums like this, I keep explaining things because more than one person reads it and may learn something. I'm not out to convert anyone - that's not my job that's the job of the Holy Spirit. All I can do is correct misunderstandings, point out errors, and explain my beliefs.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 2:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Not anymore. I just shrug and tell the person that I am not going to argue about it. I have my religion and they have whatever they have.I used to not have God in my life and I used to act like them at one time.I can be compassionate and loving.(It took a lot of work,but I feel like I am almost there at perfecting it.Then again maybe not.(It seems when you think you are under control something comes up to prove you wrong.)
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2009