• In the Spotlight:

A moderately TMI questions for Moms of uncircumcised sons

My boy is 4 years 8 mos old and he shows no sign of being ready/able to retract for cleaning. I was under the assumption that by the age of 4-ish it was pretty standard procedure in the bathtub. He's never had a UTI, he's not in pain, it isn't swollen or smelly or red or anything bad at all. How long without it being able to retract til I goto the pediatrician with this? (LAST resort, as he is cut and honestly knows very little more than I do)

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Health

• Sometimes it will take longer than the age of 4 to retract. I'd keep him away from the doctor about it, especially because you know he will recommend you teach him to retract it or recommend circumcision. As long as he has no issues, eventually nature will take its course.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:18 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It can take some boys up until they start puberty to retract naturally. It sounds like he's just fine.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• The pp is right. If he's not having any probelms everything is ok. I must say, nothing against you OP but, your ped being circ'ed is NO excuse to be unknowledgable on the topic. He is not female but, still needs to know "girl stuff", right? Find a new one if you can. Good luck, your boy sounds perfectly healthy, though :)

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:57 PM on Jul. 25, 2009