I'm not one to get on the subject of abortions, but this is just unfair!

Why is it that you can go in and get an abortion at any age, how many ever times you desire, but you can't get your tubes tied when you want to?
Why do we have to wait until 21? Some states won't even allow it unless you already have 2 children. Not everyone wants 2 children. In my case, I don't want 3, but the cost to pay out of pocket for a tubal is outrageous. I pay taxes, it's my body, my choice. Same thing people who have abortions say. I know there are other BC options but I want the permanent one done without all the hassle.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have spoken out against the same thing. It seems to me, this should be the issue on women on both sides of the abortion argument. Pro-life women should want to reduce unwanted pregnancies and thus reduce abortions. If a woman knows she doesn't want to get pregnant again- there are all these barriers to permanent birth control- but if she is actually pregnant- there are plenty of doctors willing to give her an abortion? Doesn't make sense- what happened to preventative care. And Pro-choicers- abortion is ALREADY LEGAL. Why not fight for the right that is actually being denied women? My body, my choice, right? This seems like it should be your issue way over abortion- since you already won that one and there is no controversy about this- so you won't have a bunch of opposition. It seems weird to me that everyone is so fired up about abortion and this issue just slips right by.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• What I thought was a bit much was that if I had wanted one, because I was married, I had to have my DH's PERMISSION ! Are you kidding me? Literally, he would have had to sign off on it.  I was 24 when I gave birth to number two, but I need his permission to alter MY BODY and decide if I should have more kids? Yeah, just a bit much for me.

Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i had my tubes tied when i was 20, it was after my second child but im not sure if it was because it was my second that she had asked me if i wanted that done.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 1:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• LOL..how about THIS....Medicaid will pay for YOU to get YOUR tubes tied or YOUR birth control in a ton of variities but will NOT pay for your DH a vasectomy! Thats BS. I carried al l3 babies for 9 months and dealt with the morning sickness, wieght gain and not sleeping ect ect. I suffered through the loss of 3 other babies in m/c one with a d&c. I had an 8 lb baby with NO DRUGS! Why couldn't they take care of his vasectomy? Thats like saying the gov't believes it's entirely the female responsibility to deal with BC...ya can't get preggo without the MAN! Any way, we paid cash for it ...$700!! So we are good, we aren't on medicaid anyway...I just think its crazy! I also think what you are talking about is nuts. If you only want one or none, better to PREVENT then to get an abortion any day!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Lesli...I had to sign off on my DH vasectomy....I thought that was stupid. HIS body! and he is 32!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I had a friend who had her abortion paid for through the state but ended up pregnant the next month and the state also apid for her to give birth. I think it is wrong that the state will even pay for abortions at all PERIOD! Its crazy!
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 1:15 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• they wont let me tie my tubs til I am 25 and have one of each sex Ijust delivered child number 2 and it was another boy so I am stuck waiting for ever it is bc I dont want any more kids 2 is enough for me and now I have two boys who I love to death.
    devileinsmom

Answer by devileinsmom at 1:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Good point, but I don't think it's a law that you can't get your tubes tied. It's medical preference.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• OMG in my state you can not get your tubes tied until you are 25 years old unless you have 3 children & at least one boy & one girl! Even in the cases where you do the Dr's still try to talk you out of it. i'm like If I don't want more children who are you to talk me out of it....I have 2 kids, 1 boy 1 girl.....I don't want anotehr one. Why do I have to wait until I'm 25. honestly when I was prego w/my first i went to the abortion clinic cause I was totally not wanting a baby. I was talking to a girl in the lobby & I told her I was a little nervous & scared...she said Oh don't worry it's not bad I've done it 5 times. I was like OMG...WTH. After they did the ultra sound I left there & did not have the abortion & had my kid. But why should I be denied to protect myself against further pregnancies? She can have 5 abortions...take away 5 lives but I can't just prevent it all together? stupid
    Anonymous

• I hear you and you are right. You have the right to decide about your body. In the state I live in I have to have husband permission to have my reproductive organs medically removed. The idea being that a husband needs to give consent if his wife is not to have any more children. Crazy. You either have to be married or past the age of having children. Insane and insulting. I have a friend who never wants biological children because she carries genes that she will pass on with some very serious genetic disorders. Yet that is a determination for her husband to make - apparently not her. Yet if a man wants to stop his fertile seed he needs not ask anyone's permission. It can be done right away. This is a matter of sexism and gender discrimination.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:08 PM on Jul. 25, 2009