Is there really a difference?

Another question sparked this question....

Is there really a difference in believing that God does not exist because bad things happen in this world and believing that Satan must exist because bad things happen?

If there is a difference, what is it?

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 12:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not religious at all but I don't think there is a difference. If you believe in God you must believe there is Satan right? (( I don't know ))
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think there is HUGE differance. But then I believe in the bible and the bible talks about satan. If you believe there is not God then how could you believe there is satan? I dont understand why people think that because bad thing happen there is no God. It says in the bible we will all go through suffering and since satan is realy he makes bad things happen. God dosent make the bad stuff happen. I think if you believe in one you have to believe in the other. Or you could belive in Neither. lol I think I just confused myself!
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 1:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• There has to be a difference. Not everyone that believes in God believes in the traditional Satan :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• If you believe in one don't you have to believe in the other? Satan certainly doesn't cause all bad thing (and I didn't get that impression from reading the other question) but who's to say he doesn't cause some? Isn't that his whole M-O?
    Anonymous

• Theres a huge difference. Many unconventional christians belief that there is a God, but do not believe in the traditional satan. Now I find that completely contradictory, simply because if you believe in God and his Word, then you should know the the difference between the kingdom of God and the kingdom of satan. The Bible is quite clear that they both exist. Bad things happen in the world because of satan and his ways. His mission is to steal, kill and destroy. People are great and getting into agreement with him and allowing him to influence their lives. Many sicknesses come from the fact that people have opened themselves up to satan. Even things that look like just medical conditions can stem from our own bad behavior and the condition of our hearts. We cant control everything but we can trust God to protect us, our families and believe he has a plan for everything that does happen. God doesnt control us and our behavior.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:21 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't mean the belief/lack of as much as the concepts.

Many people say that they cannot understand why people believe their is no God simply because bad things happen but these are the same people that believe that bad things exist because of Satan.

Either way you are associating human actions and behaviors are based on the behavior or lack of behavior on a "deity".

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 1:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Not much difference, basically it is just the conclusion. The reasoning is the same "bad things happen so _____" some fill in the blank with "there is no God watching over us," others fill it with "there is an evil being (Satan) making bad things happen". Either way it is sort of blaming someone, one blames a being directly, the other "blames" the lack of a being.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Isn't the difference this: "GOOD things happen because of God" and "Bad things happen because of satan" ? The good or bad influence is the difference. People who say bad things happen because of satan obviously think good things happen because of God. Maybe I don't understand what you are asking entirely.
    Anonymous

• I would have to say that there is evidence of both so you could not believe in one and not the other. If you do then you get the wrong ideal about the one you do believe in.God bless JMO.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• There is a HUGE difference imo. In one instance you DON'T believe in God. The other one you blame Satan for your woes. Well if you believe in Satan you believe in God cause there can't be darkness without light. The lie that God isn't real is the best one Satan has made yet. But the most dangerouse are the lies that our churches spread calling them "truths". Unfortunatly alot of christians believe these lies cause its the easiest thing to hear. Instead of seeking truth they just do wasthey are told. VERY dangerouse imo.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2009