taking the pacifier away

I read answeres to other peoples questions on this subject and i did get some helpful answers i plan on trying. My daughter is 26 mos. old and didn't take to a pacifier until she started really teething hard( about 7 mos. ) I have tried limiting her time with it to just nap and bedtime but she's teething with the 2 yr. molars and is either choking herself with her hand or stuffing anything she can into her mouth. so I resort to the pacifier or she'll ask for it. i have tried the discussions about taking it away with her and giving it to our new baby friend and sometimes she says she will and other times she askes for.
I just want to thank those of you with helpful advice and appreciate that there are others in the same boat. i have heard the judgemental comments of others too but I'll go at my own pace or at my daughters. I'm hoping that the other 3 2 yr. molars will come soon and we can really break the Nuk habit!

deniselvt

Asked by deniselvt at 1:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest didnt get rid of it till he was 3. I told him a few days before his birthday that we were getting rid of them on his birthday and he was going to be a big boy and he threw them away. Before that he would walk around with it in his mouth all the time and limiting it to bed didnt work for us either. He could talk with it in! He even did this trick where he would flip it over really fast if you put it in upside down! But for my other kids the binkie just got "lost" lol
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 1:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• we used sponges for our babys teething,we cut them in half washed em then put them in the freezer for a few min.my baby only uses hers for naps and bedtime.i have herd just throw them away but i know its not that easy.find something else to take her mind off of it.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• One day, when my DD was 2 she dropped it, so I said "Oops, it's yuchy now, gotta throw it away." and that was it.
    mamahud

Answer by mamahud at 1:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• We hyped up the big girl, aspect of getting rid of the pacifier and then had her put them in a basket outside her bedroom door, that night the "baba fairy" came and left glitter trailing from the door and some money that she could pick out some toys at the store. Ok so we totally ripped off the tooth fairy, but oh well she was happy. Not to mention the vaccum time.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 1:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• So...my DS is 29 mo old and I really want to get rid of the Nuk. Especially since he doesn't suck on it and he only uses it at bedtime. Last night was the first night w/o it. He pouted after I told him it was gone and he asked for it a little, so I had to tell him a little lie that would be the only thing he could understand...the dog ate it. LOL. Today is the 2nd day and he laid down for a nap and didn't even ask about the paci. So I'm happy about that.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:41 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My daughter was off the binki before she was off the bottle! at 11 months is when i just stopped giving it to her. she was born with a tooth, but didnt get all of them until she was a little over a year, so people only use teething as an excuse... Binkis can also cause buck teeth and tooth decay... think about that!
    bayliesmommy

Answer by bayliesmommy at 8:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009