Why are you sad if the dead go to Heaven?

For those who believe in heaven or any afterlife in which you will be able to see the dead again: why are you so sad when they die? I understand that you'd be a little sad because it'd be a while before you saw them, but if they're going to meet they're maker shouldn't you be happy?

kameka

Asked by kameka at 2:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question. I kinda wonder that myself. But I guess people are sad because they won't see them again for a long time.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I'm personally sad because we've all experienced a hard loss. My dh died 4 years ago. It breaks my heart to know he won't be here to experience our boys growing up, and the boys won't have him here as they grow into men.

Knowing we'll meet again in heaven is a comfort, but it doesn't do anything for the current pain.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think it's the fact that you won't get to share in day to day things with them any longer. I will lie in grass in my backyeard ot at the beach and stare at the clouds moving by and think how my sister isn't here to see the one shaped like a turtle with a pine tree on it's back and that she would have loved it. It's the small things you miss sharing with them, and it does stem from selfishness, but I think it's human nature to want the ones we love to be near us always.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Knowing that you will see someone again can ease the pain. But it's hard when your used to someone being there & then they are gone from your life. You can't do all the little things with them that you are used to. They are no longer there. Just like when my kids stay with their dad for the weekend....I know i'll see them sunday afternoon but sure *I still miss them while they are gone.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 2:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My mom died when I was pregnant with my fourth baby but only girl. She always wanted to see me have a daughter and a grandaughter for herself. I miss her so much! Thats why I am sad. My kids dont have the relationship with their other grandma that they had with my mom, she treated them like they were special and really made them feel good. It makes me sad that they wont have that. Plus maybe it is for selfish reasons too, she understood when I had problems with dh or how it is to just be a mom on those really hard days. We were pretty close and now I cant share with her or get her opinion. I just miss her.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 2:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I am sad because I wont have the presence of that person anymore. But if they are ressurected at the ressurection to life and if I am lucky enough to be ressurected then as well we will see each other agian.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• You answered your own question. Sad because we wont see them and also they will miss experiences happy they are with their maker.
    Anonymous

• My mom made it very clear when she goes we are to bawl our eyes out at the funeral We will miss her and she understand that. After that we are to party like no tomorrow in celebration of her life.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 2:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I believe I will be reincarnated with my loved ones in my life again, but I am sad that my father isn't in my life now. I am sad everytime there is an event he isn't here for. I am sad because I miss him. You can be happy for someone who is someplace you think they are happy, but that doesn't make you less sad that they aren't with you at the moment.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My ss died 4 years ago and I often remind myself that he would be in college or working so I wouldn't see him that much anyway. I tried to explain that to my 9 year old the other night and it didn't help. He knows even if that were the case at least he could call him so knowing he is in heaven doesn't take away the pain of knowing you won't see that person for a very long time.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2009