(Christians) When someone tells you

That you are making false claims about their religion or attacking it, do you listen to them and understand or do you continue to insist that you're right and they're wrong?

How does this answer mesh with your answer to the question about how you deal with people you believe are being mean about your own religion?

Are there times when someone tells you you've been unfair or even hateful and you disagree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I, personally, don't make claims about somebody elses religion that I don't know about or understand. So I've never really had that issue.
    Anonymous

• That you are making false claims about their religion or attacking it, do you listen to them and understand or do you continue to insist that you're right and they're wrong? No I listen to the person and go home and do some research. I of course apologize to the people I wronged. How does this answer mesh with your answer to the question about how you deal with people you believe are being mean about your own religion? I don't think it does. What other's believe is their own opinion, wether or not they treat me wit hthe saem respect I show or not has no reflection on how I treat them. Are there times when someone tells you you've been unfair or even hateful and you disagree? OF course, I am not a hateful person or unfair but I am human. I do disagree when I hear these accusations and ask the person/people why they are saying this. I ask what I have done to make them think this.

rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:39 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't "make claims" about anything I cant back up with hard evidence and scripture to refute. I do my best never to be hateful, but there are those people out there who anytime you disagree with them, they will get offended, no matter how nice you are being
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think it is extremely rude to feel the need to spread the truth about a religion you are not even part of or believe in. Personally I don't pretend to be an expert on a religion I don't practice but I have met many people who claim they know all about the evils of the Catholic religion but yet don't even know what is dogma, doctrine or just symbols.

If a person tells me that I am wrong about a religious practice or belief I will usually research it myself, but I won't argue with them that thier beliefs are wrong. That is uncalled for.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 2:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't think I've been in that situation either. If I were I would definitely try to understand where the other person was coming from and probably make a note to do some more research on whatever it was we had a disagreement on. I don't make it a point to make claims about something I don't have a great understanding of either and I am also very careful to be respectful so I would honestly be surprised if somebody told me I was being unfair or hateful and I would apologize for coming across that way.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't make claims about someone else's faith (unless I follow it by a request to be corrected if I am wrong), and I would trust their assertions over my own limited understanding.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't "make claims" about anything I cant back up with hard evidence and scripture to refute.

You don't see how using your scripture to address someone not of your faith is rude in itself?
    Anonymous

• I totally understand someone getting false information about different faiths - there's so much of it floating out there on the internet.

So, I'd probably feel embarrassed, take the word of the actual person following the faith (over whatever info I had gleaned), and hope they accept my apology.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• If you know that what you say is true and true to the Word of God and you are able to back it with scripture...don't allow yourself to be chopped up and cut down.
    Let your yes be yes and your no be no.
    Someone somewhere before the day is done is going to tell you or me that we have been wrong, stupid, hard-headed, hateful, arrogant and worse.
    Know what you are talking about before you type it out there.
    Know in yourself that you are making a statement that some will not like and then move on and push through the crowd.
    Do not allow yourself to be brought low and down just because someone doesn't like what you have to say.
    Can you back it up?
    Then it is good enough.
    Peace in a troubled world for sure is hard to get.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 7:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• -I don't make claims of any kind about someone elses' religion. If it is not my own religion and I am making a comment or asking a question, I always leave it open with a request that someone correct me if I misunderstood. I know how I hate it when people act like they know everything about what I believe and use it to tell me I'm wrong. I don't do it to others. I don't have to agree or follow another person's religion in order to extend kindness and consideration to them.

-I treat others how I expect to be treated. I expect others to treat me in the same way I've treated them.

-There are times when people will completely misunderstand my motives and tell me I'm hateful or whatever else. I write it off to misunderstanding me through the computer screen or being so defensive they can't take my words for what they're worth. I know that I don't have malice against any other person; I try to make that clear :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2009