Is it okay to leave him in his carseat??

We are taking a 10 hour trip to florida in 2 weeks. We are gonna drive at night, since we have an 8 month old and I know he won't want to be in his carseat that long awake. But is it okay to let him sleep the whole way there in his carseat?? I know I would be uncomfortable if I had to stay like that for that long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Travel

• Yes he will be fine that is actually a natural position for them but I do recommend that u take him out at least every 2-4 hours so that he doesnt get n e type of sore spot on his back or butt.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes, its fine. He likely wont stay asleep the whole time, so plan your stops when he wakes. Get out and let him stretch his legs too. Then when you get back in the car, put him back in. Theres nothing you can do while youre driving because he needs to be in his seat, but stopping periodically should help. Good luck!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I would let him sleep as much as he wants....but get him out from time to time to let him lay on his tummy across you lap or maybe put some weight on his legs...just to change him around....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yes! Please keep him in a carseat
    Anonymous

• Keeping him in his carseat is fine. He is likely to sleep most of the trip anyways. We took a trip with our son was 9 months old. He only woke when he was hungry and when we would stop to go potty or get gas.
    Anonymous

• Just to be clear, yes I plan on keeping him in the carseat while we are driving. I hope people didn't actually think I would drive with him out of the carseat. I was just wondering if he should get out each time we stop :) Thanks for the advice :)
    Anonymous

• If he's asleep there is no reason to wake him if/when you stop.. if he's awake yea take him out and let him play around for a few minutes. If he's asleep obviously he's comfortable LOL.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:53 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• Let the little guy sleep. You will be thankfull that you did. Just make sure to take stop when he wakes up and let him get some movement to stretch out his little hams. :) Make sure you bring a portable DVD player for him for when he is awake. Keep some Baby Einstein or Seasame St out for him. We have taken our daughter on long car rides, and it was a life saver. Have fun on your trip!!
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 11:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Totally fine. If you guys stop to use the bathroom, fill up on gas, whatever and you guys see that he is awake-by all means take him out-change his diaper-feed him- give him a kiss-stretch his legs, and strap him back in.
    I've taken a 22 hour driving trip non-stop (meaning no staying at a hotel) and was afraid to take my daughter out of her seat while we were driving on the highway. The only time I did that was to change her diaper (Trust I was going at champion speed!LOL) and she was completely fine. She was also 8 months at the time.
    Have a Blessed trip!
    LittleMrsBasket

Answer by LittleMrsBasket at 6:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009