do children that grow up with deaf parents naturally learn how to use sign lauguage?

I was thinking if u grew up with deaf parents would u naturally learn how to speak using sign laugauge as ur lauguage? Cause if that's what ur parents used wouldn't that be how u learned to communicate? if so how do u learn to talk except from other people.

lhspwoman

Asked by lhspwoman at 3:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's no different than growing up in a land where your language is not society's first language. You learn to associate words (signs) and things.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• There are two ladies, sisters, that go to my church and their parents were deaf. I was talking to one of them one time about sign language, I think because my daughter was signing please and the lady started talking to me. So anyway, she did learn sign language first as that was the only way she could communicate with her parents. But what is interesting is that she and her siblings never got that good at it. She said her parents would sign to each other really fast and the kids would ask each other "what are they saying?" and not be able to figure it out. What I didn't ask, that I would really like to know, is when and how did they learn spoken English.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009