The difference between a conservative Christian vs. a non conservative Christian??

sorry this is kind of a silly question but I always see other moms on this site describe themselves as one of the two and was wondering what the difference is?? examples or Bible verses would help too. thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you are either a christian or not, you either live just like the Bible tells you to live and be called christian or you live how you want to live and call your self christian that's jus my opinion

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It is a matter of perspective. Some people consider themselves conservative when others might think they are much less conservative than them. The general idea is that a conservative Christian does not leave room for interpretation, the "word" is clear & it is law, no questions asked. But how much you can do that largely depends on how much of the word you know, how well you understand it, and so on. So some people with a very narrow perspective might think they are being very conservative when in fact they are just following the directions of one church or church leader. Self identified non-conservative Christians usually allow for some interpretation of the Bible & church teachings, they tend to avoid condeming acts, thoughts, words that "conservative" Christians might speak out against. There is no one line though, which if you cross it you are no longer "conservative".
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• One is politics and one is religion
    Anonymous

• like anon, my first thoughts went to political views....mmmm, but the other ladies posters focused it just on religion.

I guess you gotta look for context.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• The term Conservative Christian means Traditional Christian, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with their political beliefs. It's also sometimes referred to as Fundamentalism. They believe the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God and in it's literal interpretation.

The term Non-Conservative/Non-Fundamental/Liberal Christian refers to those who do not believe the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God and who do not adhere strictly to dogma although many hold the same basic beliefs as Traditional Christians.

There are many more details is the differences between the two, but what I've written is the basic difference. =)
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• There can be many differences, depending on the individual. Some may not believe in the Trinity, some may not believe in Hell, or reject some other doctrine within the faith. They may disagree with certain aspects of the established religion, may not believe in reading the Bible literally - there are so many different aspects that one could make someone be considered to be non conservative, or liberal.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• A conservative Christian does not try to bend the Word of God to suit the modern world. They are strictly trying to live their lives according to the Manual (the Bible).
    The other is one that believes that since the Word of God is too hard to follow; they can skip the parts that they do not like because it troubles them and might hurt someone else.
    I call them fence walkers.
    People pleasers and ear ticklers.
    The conservative keeps the Word solid and is not willing to bend or step aside for the human flesh.
    Liberals...no need to hear what they have to say. A libral is a mind that is bent and twisted.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 7:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Oh for goodness sakes you guys.

I am a inbetween liberal and conservative. Liberal Christianity has NOTHING to do with pleasing people or tickling their ears. I think you all know by now that I don't give a flip as to pleasing any of you or whether or not you like what I say or are in agreement with what I believe. I believe what I believe because of my personal study, my relationship with God and my convictions. Being a liberal does not mean that you necessarily believe the Bible to be in err. The Bible is the inspired word of God, GOD'S words are never in err. Liberalism means that you place things in historical and time-relevant context, you get to know the literary styles of the time, you look at the original language, you understand the author and the original audience and intention and you learn about how your Bible was translated and by whom before jumping on the "literal interpretation bandwagon."
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:31 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• But yes, ignore everthing all liberals have to say. Let's ignore the parts of the Bible about Christian love and kindness as well.

The fact of the matter is, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can claim that they follow every single last word of the Bible, as-is, perfectly. We all have good reasons for what we do or don't follow...or do all of you still stone your disobedient children? Do you all cover your heads when praying? Do you make sure your women don't speak in church? We've found reasons not to follow those things but want to boohoo at people who have similar convictions about other passages. The fact of the matter is, if it's not YOUR conclusion or interpretation, then everyone else must be wrong.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I can only speak for myself here, but I wasn't trying to be insulting. As Bandgeek said, there many different aspects to one's beliefs who considers themselves to be a liberal Christian. But the basic definition of liberal Christianity denotes a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture without any preconceived notion of inerrancy of scripture or the correctness of Church dogma. Does that mean the definition is applicable for everyone? No. That is one reason I despise labels so much because they force people into boxes.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2009