I know this will upset many Catholics but...

I read this statement yesterday. It puzzled me and I continue to think about it. Why would you make a statement like this and expect any Catholic to listen to you? If you made this statement about ANY religion how many people do you really expect to listen to what you have to say? It seems odd to think a person will make a statement knowing it is going to upset people, not care that it will upset people and then claim it is the word of God?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Or perhaps all the hatred spend toward Catholics would be better spent serving the Lord in a much kinder, gentler fashion. What a complete waste of energy it is to hate on a group of people that much. Especially when one understands so very, very little of which they speak. Very sad indeed. The Lord has something much better planned for such a person I'm sure, if only that person would open their heart to what He truly wants instead of what she THINKS He wants.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• what statement?

if that was it, i'd be confused too
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I'm confused too...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• She means the title: "I know this will upset many Catholics but..."
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 4:41 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I get what the OP is saying. There was an answer to a question yesterday and the person said as part of that answer "I know this will upset many Catholics". Those kinds of things are said out of bitterness and ignorance and to start an argument so that a person may spread their lies while defending herself. It's quite sad and pathetic really, but those comments must be ignored.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I understand what you are saying. That's like saying "No offense BUT..." and then following with the most offensive thing you could possibly think of to say. It's like people who say things like that think if they add that before whatever they say it makes it ok or less offensive somehow, and it doesn't.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 4:45 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• are you really that dense? It obviously is the start of a statement. It is the way a statement started hence the ... We use ellipsis marks when omitting a word, phrase, line, paragraph, or more from a quoted passage.

and yes, I see no reason to start a statement that way. It is going to turn people from your message not have them tune in
    Anonymous

• my statement wasn't directed towards you whitear
    Anonymous

• or you anime_mom619 lol you all posted as I was posting. You had a nicer way of putting it.
    Anonymous

• To add to what I said also...I don't see a reason at all to make statements that 'have' to start with a "disclaimer" like that. If you know what you are about to say or how you're about to say something will offend a whole group of people you can find another way of saying it, or leave it unsaid. That is of course, unless you just don't care.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 4:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009