What would you do?

OK. Its my MILS birthday today and she wants us to take her out to this really expencive resterant and US pay. I am all for taking her out dont get me wrong but my DH lost his job in Dec and money is really tight. We tried to tell her that we cant afford to go there OURSELVES let along buy for her. She was pitching a fit about not wanting to take her out. Shes was like well I always take my son out for his birthday. Which she does and she ends up picking for that place to but the differents is when its your birthday at this place your MEAL IS FREE so she really is not paying to take him out. And the last time we went I HAD TO PAY FOR MINE. Which I dont care about. We tried to tell her that we can take her out but some place we can afford. Then she said that she was the birthday person and she could pick the restarant. THere is no pleaseing this woman and she is making me so mad. Any advice on what to do?

1st_timer_31

Asked by 1st_timer_31 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• make her birthday dinner and invite her over. She can accept it or not but you made the effort

Answer by admckenzie at 4:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I tried that to and she wants to go out and said she HATES my COOKING. OH well her son sure like my cooking. lol she is just so unreasonable. and of couse its MY FAULT.
    1st_timer_31

Answer by 1st_timer_31 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I would just tell her, come over to our house and I'll cook you dinner that way it will be made with love :) and more special, and if she don't like it then whatever, an adult should understand that when money is tight money is tight I don't understand why can't she get that through her head, I wouldn't take her to that restuarant, I would stick to my guns and if she don't like that maybe she just needs to grown up. good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:32 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• all you and your husband can do is all you can do. if she's not happy with the fact that despite everything going on with you and your husband that you are still trying to do something for her birthday then she should be happy that she has that and if not then the only thing you can do is try. in the end she is the one who will have to pay for ungratefulness and even though she may not have accepted the offer nicely or appreciatively at least you two made the effort:) good luck!
    danarenee22

Answer by danarenee22 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It's not your foult, she just needs to grow up and stop throwing fits like a friken teen.
    What is up with all these evil mother in laws out there, my sisters MIL is the same way, I'm sorry you have to go through this
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• She sounds like a real peach... I would let your husband deal with her on that situation. It's his mother, he needs to stand up to her and put an end to her nonsense now. She needs to appreciate more of the meaning behind of the gesture rather than all the bells and whistles.
    Good luck.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 4:35 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i agree that you should make somethinga nd invite her to dinner with you, make it seem as fancy as you can, and if she doesn't want to go over or like it, she can leave and you can have a nice diner for two at home. right now, the family you have created comes before your in laws or your family's needs no matter what. if you can't do it you can't do it and they should deal with it.
    sherlockhlm

Answer by sherlockhlm at 4:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Knowing my luck she will say she is sick with my cooking and go home and call her doc and then say that i tried to poison her. lol
    she already called cps on me cause i cook to bad. its just something I have to deal with but we will do that and if she dont like it then tough.
    1st_timer_31

Answer by 1st_timer_31 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Oh wow! I dont think I would take her anywhere! She is acting worse than a kid. I cant believe that someone would throw a fit for not getting what they want when they know money is tight like that. Thats pretty darn rude if you ask me and how can she tell you what to do for her for her birthday?
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 4:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Id either make dinner and surprise her when she gets to your house OR Id pick her up and take her to a place I could afford.
    She can either suck it up and enjoy herself under the conditions that you all can afford(that she is well aware of) or she can stay in the car while you two enjoy yourselves(or sit on the couch and sulk why you guys eat LOL).

No excuse for her to be so petty and obstinent about where she goes for dinner.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2009