What are your rules for "bad words" in your family? What do you think of adults cursing in Public?

When I went on my flight there was a young female flight attendent trying to get a suitcase on to the overhead. She was having trouble and then she lost her cool. Then she gets angry and says Sh_t and F_ck this. I thought she would be more careful because children were around?
I have teens that are 17 and 15 I let them say most of the mild words such as "crap" but I told them the F-word is off limits.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Adults are going to do what they feel because they are adults. I personally dont like it when adults curse in front of my child because kids can start to repeat things they hear. I also do not like to hear teens or younger children curse in public either I think that it is disrespectful to the surrounding adults and smaller children.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 6:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• My husband and I rarely swear and our daughters have grown up modeling that behaviour too. If they really feel the need to swear that's OK but not in every day conversation, Kids learn what you show them and since we don't, they don't.

As a friend once said - swearing in every day life leaves you with nothing to express how you feel when it really hits the fan. If Mary Poppins swears, it tells you that there is a BIG problem. When a rapper swears, it tells you that he's breathing.
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 9:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• As a general rule, I teach that swearing is a sign of immaturaty, lack of self control, and underdevelopment of character. Kids hear those words no matter what and in my house we teach that it makes peoople look bad when they swear (which is sooo true). And if they want to be respected she should keep her language clean and under control.
    Hollytree

Answer by Hollytree at 12:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2009

• My parents believed that if you are too afraid to swear in front of your parents then you weren't mature enough to swear around your friends.
    Anonymous

• I do not allow cussing in my house. My husband grew up around cussing, and outside I can sometimes hear him, but not in the house. I told the kids that there are better ways to express themselves.

Answer by Bmat at 6:56 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• First, the flight attendant was totally out of line. You never cuss in a professional situation. You should have reported her.

Secondly, my husband and I both cuss occasionally around our children but never the "F" word. Our older kids cuss around us sometimes, but also never the "F word or "GD".
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 10:14 PM on Jul. 26, 2009

• I think Hollytree is exactly right. Cursing shows a lack of self control. In our home, we dont allow cursing because we just dont do that. I have personally said What the hell...but it was not infront of my kids and I dont consider that cursing...LOL. We dont call each other stupid, ugly, or any other names. I get ILL when another child or adults curses in front of my kids. My children automatically turn up their nose and look at that person like garbage. They know that its inappropriate. I think that if youre going to curse, and its your right to do so, you should always be respectful of others around you....in my mind the F word is off limits at any time. I dont allow my teen to say it in my home, though I knew she was saying it at school......ugh.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2009

• The flight attendent should have known better than to use that kind of language in front of passengers, because while some people use those words frequently, they are offensive to some. Not to mention, it's unprofessional.

In our house, if mom and dad don't say it, then the kids aren't allowed to say it. And neither of us use cuss words. Using words like that show lack of intelligence and make the person look trashy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't let my kids swear, even though it sometimes slips out of me. My oldest girl occasionally says mild things "crap and "damn" but nothing more than that. My younger children haven't grown up in an environment where they hear constant swearing, so they definitely don't swear. I think extreme swearing out in public shows lack of character and a need for a better vocabulary, please. But there really isn't too much to do about it.

-Levi
    LeviM

Answer by LeviM at 8:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2009