someone told me that my son is how he is because:

he doesnt have any father son time. He is angry at his sister sometimes because she doesn't to want he wants to do, at times he even hits her. Do you think it could have to do with my son not having father son time. or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Actually it is quite possible.

My husband got switched to 3rd shift, and he works 12 hour days. Since the switch, we hardly see my husband. He works 12 hours, then you have "lunch" and travel time. So he's gone roughly 14 hours a day. He comes home and sleeps until he wakes up for dinner, dresses and rushes off to work again.

My son (8) has been more argumentative, disrespectful and fighting with his sister a lot more than he was prior to the shift change. Nothing else in life has changed.
    Anonymous

• b y the way my son is 11yrs, old.now.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 4:41 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It could be, it could also be because you are not setting a clear boundary that he cannot force his sister to participate in his activities and stepping in when things get too heated. I can't judge that because you didn't state your reaction to his actions. It could also be frustration for other things coming out. I would honestly put father son time as least on the list for violence towards siblings. But as I stated you didn't show your reaction to it, so it is hard to determine the cause.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Eh don't listen to people who say blanket things like you mentioned. His hormones are going whacky right now, getting his body ready for puberty. Set those limits and stick to them.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• way to goWhen someone gives me an opinion I usually ask myself "do I feel am doing the right thing"? and if the answer is yes than I just don't worry about people psycho analyzes of me after all everyone has a Mental Hygiene Degree without having stepped foot in a classroom. I raised a very STRONG, INDEPENDENT SON who has accomplished alot and I was mommy and daddy to him.

Hurtnlostmom

Answer by Hurtnlostmom at 6:19 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Personally, I don't think so. My son hasn't had any relationship with his father and he is fine. He is intelligent, respectful and well adjusted. But on the other hand, that could be part of the reason. It could be puberty starting, he is at that age. Have his doctor talk to him and see what is going on. If you have a male friend or relative that is willing, have them do things with your son that a father normally would. It really does help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't think so. He's fighting with his sister, that's all. All siblings will fight over something. I wouldn't worry about it.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 8:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• yea that could be it but still i wont worry about it that much i thinks he is just being a kid
    lagurl

Answer by lagurl at 1:03 PM on Jul. 26, 2009