Shopping for furniture/torture

My dh and I just went looking at furniture. The sales ppl just decended upon us and were so overbearing. I am now dreading going back out there. How do you and your s/o handel this? We REALLY have to get something new to sit on. Where do you shop? Who do you do business w?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I dont know where u live but I shop at a store called Kantors, its is online the cheapest place I have ever been to and lovely. People know to back of when u say u r just browsing I love it
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 4:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• The only place I know of where this doesn't happen is Ikea. At most furniture stores, I normally give them dirty looks and say "we're just looking today," and if they keep bugging me, I say "we are really JUST LOOKING today, and if we need your help, I will come find you." Frankly, I think you have to end up being bitchy when they're being pushy.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• we go to a place called freedom furniture and electronics, they are small but usually have what we like. and my husband has shopped there since before we were married so when i walk in and say i'll tell you when i'm ready, if i'm ready, they just say ok and back off. places where they won't back off, i tell them i'm just looking, if they still don't back off, i tell them, well i was considering looking to buy "x" but since you won't leave me alone to decide if i like it i guess i'll just leave, and if i really did want it in the first place when they start making offers i might stick around, if its just me being a bitch b/c they won't let me look i leave.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• We do most of our initial shopping online. We find whatever it is we're looking for online - say a dining table and chairs - then when we have it narrowed down to one or two tables then we go to the stores and look at them in person, sit in the chairs, etc. Until I'm actually ready to buy whatever it is, I just tell the sales people that we are "just looking" and then I walk away from them. It may be rude, but I don't care. I like Crate and Barrel's furniture a lot and the sales people aren't annoying. At least at the one close to us they aren't.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• We usually just say hello to the salesperson that attacks us as we're walking in, then kindly let them know that we prefer to browse by ourselves. We ask the salesperson's name and assure him/her that we absolutely will let him/her know if we have questions or would like to buy something. They really just have to compete with each other since at most places they are paid on commission. Let the salesperson know that they WILL have the sale if you choose to purchase something that day. Then, if others approach you while you're browsing, you can tell them truthfully, "We're already working with ________(name of salesperson who greeted you)". This approach works pretty well for us without being rude.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:46 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• We usually search online until we find EXACTLY what we are looking for. If the price is right and we can order the item online--preferably with free shipping, we will! Otherwise, we will print pictures and dimensions of what we would LIKE to try and find, and search specific furniture store websites and/or call to see if they have the particular item(s) in stock.

Sometimes if you have a specific brand of furniture online, you can Google that manufacturer and product name/model (ie: Stanley Furniture Country Trellis China Hutch), and at a glance get a price comparison from various vendors! At least you know you're getting the best deal at the time!

If I HAVE to go to a store for browsing purposes I do exactly as vicesix stated above.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:01 PM on Jul. 26, 2009