Patriotic?

If you aren't patriotic does that mean other people have the right to tell you to leave the country? I was reading a question about patriotism that had so many posts it was locked. The person asking the question said she didn't feel patriotic. Others said if she didn't love America there was nothing stoping her from leaving.

Of course that comment is ignorant. You can't just go live in another country. You have your job, career, money, home, family, ect. There are lots things stopping people people from leaving.

Is America about love the way it is or leave? Do other Americans have the right to say that to each other?

I was in a graduate course about cultural sensitivity. We watched a video about asians. A black girl actually said, "Well, if Asians don't like America they should just go back where they came from."

My professor asked her if she was native American and got to judge others.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Free speech so yes they have the right to say it.The main thing that bother's me with this is I see a decline in patriotism (and misrepresentations eg Biden "it's patriotic to pay taxes" lol)...alot of school's no longer say the pledge or explain any of it to the children.I also cannot stand seeing so many immigrants (the illegal's tick me off the most) coming here and parading pride for the country they left all over neglecting American pride.That does make me wonder WHY they left said country in the first place...
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• WHat's the point of Being in America if you don't support it?Military included. IN other countries they would be jailed or killed for bashing the country..

Anonymous

• Oh and expecting us to cater and bend to their every whim or else..yeah that stuff tend's to get my gord.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:54 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me." That is what i would apply to that situation. Freedom of speech, people can say what they want but it is up to you on how your going to take it.
    Anonymous

• Of course that comment is ignorant. You can't just go live in another country. You have your job, career, money, home, family, ect. There are lots things stopping people people from leaving. ~ OP

If this is true, then why do we have such a problem with illegal immigration?  Obviously, many millions of people DO just move to another country (ours) to live.  It may not seem like a good argument, but we do have free speech, so whoever says that you are free to leave is just expressing their patriotism, just as much as the person that wants our country to be the polar opposite of what it is now. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• IN other countries they would be jailed or killed for bashing the country..

some, not all. you do know that, right?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:21 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Well, we're not living in Orwell's 1984, and as far as I'm aware, citizens are ALSO welcome to REMAIN here regardless of their opinions on the state of the nation.

When it becomes a crime to disagree with actions the government takes, or to not "love" this country? That's when I WILL be leaving it.
    QueenMama7808

Answer by QueenMama7808 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• It seems there is more than one definition of Patriotic depending on who you ask. The founding fathers gave us a Republic where we have certain rights and freedoms. A good citizen, a patriotic citizen, does what he can to protect those freedoms and the rights of every human being in this country.

Anyone who is patriotic will defend the Constitution, not attempt to wipe his ass with it, or let the government wipe their asses with it.

I love the premises this country was founded under. I will fight tooth and nail to keep this country what the founding fathers wanted for us.
    Anonymous

• I don't fine the "there's nothing stopping you" comment very offensive. It's more like letting you know you have other options if this one isn't making you happy.

If they said "the get the hell out," well that would be pretty mean-spirited.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't say anyone is "free" to leave - do you know how much it costs to be able to live in another country? Getting the papers and approvals and everything involved???
    Anonymous