8 year old hand cuffed and arrested for stealing, too much?

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=14730108&ch=4226713&src=news

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope, maybe it will stick with him and make him think next time he wants to steal.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Seriously, this is why I think people BABY their kids too much and make excuese for them. Kids will never learn to take responsability for their actions if someone is always going to step in and make them out to be the victim!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I tend to agree with Carpy but I do think it was a bit over the top when they stuck the boys in a cell with the older one's.Hopefully,Obama will keep his trap shut over this incident..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Nope. Stealing is a crime.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I agree sweet-a-kins. It sounds like they lack discipline. Its funny how parents wont discipline their children but when society does, NOW they come out swinging.
    2princesnaKing

Answer by 2princesnaKing at 5:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Yep that is why we have so many trouble's today with our youth because of too many parents babying them to death instead of enforcing personal accountability...or they just leave it to the government ran public school system.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Maybe he'll think before he does something wrong next time.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:11 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think that the actions were right.
    I bet ya the kid thinks before doing it again.
    *laugh*...don't tell obama.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 6:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• When I was 4 years old, a cop handcuffed me and told me they were his truth detectors and if I ever told a lie, now he'd know. Scared the living hell out of me. It also worked. (cop was a friend of the family, and he did it as a joke - I don't think he intended it to work, but it did)
    What it didn't do was scar me for life, put me in therapy, make me distrust all cops or my parents (who were right there). Kids are not precious little snowflakes, not even that kid.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:52 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I don't really have a major problem with it but I don't think they needed to go as far as handcuffing them and throwing them in the slammer with real criminals. LOL I do think they should have gone to the house and explained what they did was wrong and what they "could" do. I'm pretty sure that would do the job at that age.
    When I was in grade school a friend and I were throwing rocks onto an empty house and a rock missed and hit the window breaking it. We had to climb over a fence to get out and by the time I did there was a neighbor there. The neighber called the cops and my friend got a visit from the cops. I thought for sure I would but I didn't. The thought of it freaked me out enough to never do anything like that agian.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2009