My mom lost a baby girl before I was born

My mom had a little girl before me that died when she was 3 months old because of SIDS. I couldn't even begin to imagine what my poor mom went through, so I don't know how she would feel about me liking the name Victoria. My mom always called her Tori and when I picture my very own baby girl, I want to call her that too.

Is that weird or mean of me? I guess it doesn't matter anyway because when I brought the name up to my husband he said without thinking, "Nooo I don't like that name at all".

ours

Asked by ours at 4:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Maybe your mom would find that an honor. You will just have to ask her what she thinks of that. But I wouldnt bring it up unless your husband did like the name and it was an option.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 5:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• that is my daughters name, i always thought i'd call her tori too, but shes still victoria to me, and everyone else calls her tori. but anyways, i think you're mom may actually like it, she may see it as an honor placed upon her first daughter by you, the girls sister, even if you never knew her.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• it also might stir up memories for your mom and make her upset. you have to ask her
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:14 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I think you would have to ask her. Some people deal with grief differently. It may honor her or it may really hurt her feelings. Theres no way of knowing unless you ask and honestly I think only YOU can make the decision if that is a risk you would like to take
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 6:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I agree, ask her how she would feel. My mom had a sister that died when she was four years old and her name was Christine. My mom named me after her, only changed it to Christina.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2009