How do I change my sons diaper so he won't splash me

I have a baby boy and tired of getting splashed. How do I prevent this and why do they pee so much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lift their legs so when they pee they pee in their own face
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:12 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• omg i was in the hospital with mine, walked out of the room and just said ok someone else has to do this b/c i've taken 4 showers in 2 hours. but the only thing i can say is to have 2 clean diapers, hold one open over him as you are taking off the dirty/wet one, if he pees than you can just hold it there til hes done, then put on the second clean one, if he doesn't pee use it to diaper him with. mine pee'd on me all the time for the first 3 weeks, now he's 2 months and it hasn't happened in about a month (even though now since i said that he'll pee on me in the tub tonight to prove me wrong..) go quickly, when he poops and you have to wipe alot, leave a wipe or something sitting on top of his penis so it doesn't get you if it starts to go off. as far as why they pee so much, when the cold air hits them they pee, girls do too, but it doesn't shoot up into the air so it doesn't get you as often (though it can happen and did w/mi
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:13 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Why would you want your child to pee in their own face. I hope thats a joke.
    Anonymous

• Okay, I just had a baby boy two months ago. This is what I do after getting wet a few times. lol

When i have to change him, I undo his diaper and left the front side of slowly and just every so slighly to let the air hit his wee-wee. Then once I let the air hit him for a few seconds, I let the diaper rest on him for a few moments while I get the wipe out of the box. Then usually he is done peeing by this point if he started.

The cold air gives them the sensation of having to pee, so they do.

Hope it works out for ya.
    TLW514

Answer by TLW514 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• As I undid the old diaper, I would position another diaper (I used cloth) over the critical area and set it down there while taking care of cleaning. Then I put the new diaper under him and as I lifted the top part over the area I removed the extra diaper from the top. So the area was never without a diaper or cloth between it and me or the rest of the room. LOL! When my second son had just been born, the nurses had a little lesson for the new moms on how to bathe and change a newborn. When they got to the changing part, the nurse removed the diaper and left all hanging out, I blinked and said are you sure you want to do that? You don't put a covering cloth on top while changing the baby? She smiled and said not necessary. Then of course the baby "went" and she said "That mom knows her baby! " LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 5:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I always just put a washcloth over him when changing him. If he started to pee, it would get caught in the washcloth long enough for me to grab a diaper. I got splashed a few times at the beginning too haha :) Babies R Us also carries something called a pee pee teepee, its a teepee looking thing that is water proof. But its like 10 bucks, a washcloth worked great for me.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 5:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• I have 2 boys, so we got baptized plenty!! The best advice I can offer is to keep plenty of baby washcloths nearby, on your changing table, in your diaper bag, wherever you will be changing him and fold them into quarters. Put a washcloth in your left hand and slide down the diaper with your right and as soon as the diaper comes offf, slap the washcloth over the winky. You have to be QUICK!! It takes practice and you'll get the hang of it. Pretty soon, he won't be doing that. Mine quit peeing everywhere when they were about 2-3 months old.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:06 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Change it quickly. He will stop doing it soon enough.
    Anonymous