i asked a question the other day

the other day i asked about pinkeye...my daughter has it but what im asking is if she has pink eye has had it for 4 days now wouldnt me or my husband or my sister who is staying with her have it too? and its not getting better with anitbiotics and the other eye looks like its getting bad too but she doesnt touch her eye and if she happens to i wash her hands immediately. is there anything else that can be the cause of all this? because its not all fitting together...unless theres a way no one but her can get it...sorry i ask so much but ive never been through or dealt with it and the doctors arent any help. the doctor didnt even look at her eye she just diagnosed her with what i told her...so....i really appreciate any help i can get...thanks ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i meant staying with us not her
    Anonymous

• I have seen some children in daycare not be able to get rid of it with just eye drops. They need to take the medicine orally. This could be the case with your daughter. There are many times the kids at work get it and I don't. If you all are washing your hands and your daughter's hands and stuff like that you may not get it.
    Anonymous

• Well usually when you call to tell the advice nurse or doctor and they hear the symptoms they usually automatically prescribe antibiotics for it. I would continue with the medicine for a couple more days and if it doesn't start to change or go away I would take her in. And yes it is very contagious. So one of you might have it but not see any symptoms yet. I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 5:37 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• As far as I know you all wouldn't get it unless you touched something that she had touched after touching her eye, and then touched your own eye. As far as it spreading to her other eye, the germs could be on her pillow, or she may have touched her eyes when asleep. Tell your worries to the doctor. There are other reasons for eye irritation- allergy, tear duct problems. But if the doctor looked pulled out the lower lid and looked at the tissues, they should have been able to have a pretty good idea if it was pink eye. But definitely if you notice spreading and no improvement, call the doctor. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 5:38 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Of course make sure you wash your hands with soap and water to not spread anything but the one thing we always did when one of our kids got pink eye was to rub the infected area with a gold ring. I know it sounds silly and is probably some old wives tale but it worked. Not sure what karat gold it has to be but has to be real gold.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:39 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• we do all wash our hands but before i knew what it was i didnt wash after touching her or wiping her tears or anything....and i washed and lysol her pillow and blankets everynight about 15 minutes before i lay her down so that it has time to dry and the doctor didnt look at her eye other than talking to her, she just did nothing, she didnt pull down or open the eye to examine it or use that light thing to even look at it. i pulled her eye down to put the drops in and noticed a white bump on the inside of her lower lid thats it, it is pretty red and has some gunk coming out of it but i dont know, thanks ladies
    Anonymous

• There are actually several different types of pinkeye causing bacteria. One type is easily spread through touch, and is very contagious. There are other forms that are not so contagious, and cannot be spread. Did the doctor give her antibiotic eye drops? There are also homeopathic remedies that work really well that you can buy over the counter, like at Walgreens. The white bump is probably a stye which will go away on its own usually. If it keeps getting worse I'd talk to your doctor. Good luck and I hope she gets better!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 5:51 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• yes i got anitbiotic drops but since using them it seems to have gotten worse...
    Anonymous

• If is is getting worse, I would TAKE her to the doctor or urgent care clinic. It could be something other than pink eye. Don't wait, it could affect her eye sight. Pink eye is not something to fool around with. My unlce is an eye doctor and I have gotten pink eye a lot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• If it was pink eye is SHOULD be getting better with drops but it could be a strand that the drops dont treat. I would make her another appt and have them culture the goo. One time my son had an ear infection so badly that the fluid was backing up in to his eye!! So I would have her looked at again.

But to answer the other question... you wont necessarily get it. Pink eye is HIGHLY contagious but if you cleaning your hands and not touching your eyes, you wont get it
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:29 AM on Jul. 26, 2009