Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Name change on SSC

I was wondering if anyone knew how much it costs if anything to get your social security card changed with your new married name? How long does it take to get the new one? Can I use my certificate or do I have to actually use the official marriage license? And were you able to change your ID first and then do SS with it? Any info would be helpful thanks.

Answer Question

Asked by Bamzakarat at 5:42 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 13 (1,054 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • It doesn't cost anything :) Got this done recently.

    Answer by SandraB383 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • It takes 10 days to get the new one. I brought in the marriage license.

    Answer by SandraB383 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • you need the official license, the certificate is more of a display thing for you, the license is the legal form. it takes about 10 days - 2 weeks to receive your new card. doesn't cost anything, you just need to bring in your old card and an id. as far as changing your id first, it doesn't matter which one you change first, and each can be done with the license.

    Answer by vabchmommy at 5:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • Ok well I was asking because the judge that married us told us that if I went and got my ID changed with the certificate first then I wouldn't have to take in the license to get the SSC changed. He said that I could just use my new ID. So I dunno.

    Answer by Bamzakarat at 5:53 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

  • I just finished doing the name change on my social security card.I went in showed them my marriage certificate and in 4 days I received mine.Some social security offices are faster than others.I was dealing with the office manager maybe that is why.

    Answer by monica-alvarez at 6:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.