Tell me, What is so wrong with Spanking?

I was spanked with a belt growing up and it made me who i am today. I am a respectful adult who never got into much trouble growing up. Because i knew i was going to be whooped when i got home. As a teen i never had sex, smoked, drank alcohol or hung out late BECAUSE I KNEW BETTER. Because my parents corrected my behavior earlier on. And talking didn't help with me. So tell me, Why is it so wrong to spank a child considering that from my experience i turned out pretty darn fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Jul. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So then tell me why when I was growing up in the 80's kids back then were more respectful never got pregnant ,never talked back to their parents.Now most kids talk back,drugs,sex,teen preganancies.Hell they even made a reality show on teen pregnancy.I believe in spanking once in a while.Why do they have a police officer at middle school and high school?Because gets are more violent.So you think they are violent because they get spanked no video games,the people who they hang around .Violence is every where.
    Anonymous

• Same thing with me. I was spanked as a kid. I find nothing wrong with it. My Kids get a spanking when they deserve it
    Anonymous

• I think a swat on the butt is okay to get a kid's attention...anything beyond that is pretty much abuse.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 6:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Spanking is not for everyone and when someone expresses that they think otherwise then that is their right.

Massachusetts lawmakers say a proposed measure that would ban parents from spanking their children, even in their own homes, is a way to protect kids from abuse. But many parents believe it's an example of government run amok.

In all 50 states, parents are legally allowed to spank their children. But in 29 states it's illegal for a teacher to practice corporal punishment, including spanking.

A Massachusetts nurse is hoping to change that and make the state the first in the nation to ban corporal punishment at home.
    Related
    Vote: Should Spanking Be Illegal?
    WATCH: Banning Spanking

"I think it's ironic that domestic violence applies to everyone except the most vulnerable — children," said Kathleen Wolf, who wrote the bill.

I saw this on another post and it really makes a great point!
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:05 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• Because it teaches kids that violence is acceptable. Case in point... you were spanked and now relish spanking kids who are weaker than you to prove your point.
    Anonymous

• I know for a fact anything beyond a swat is not abuse. My Mom(who believes in spanking) spanked my little sister. My Ex step dad, who does not believe in spanking called the cops on my mom. The cop told my moms ex that he was wrong to call because as long as the spank is on the butt and not on the face or leaving marks its okay
    Anonymous

• "I think it's ironic that domestic violence applies to everyone except the most vulnerable — children," said Kathleen Wolf, who wrote the bill
    --
    OMG LMFAO........... That woman is a nut case. There is a difference between abuse and discipline. Its too bad most people do not know the difference.
    Anonymous

-----------
    Really? Its funny because i was spanked when taught that violence was not acceptable lol, and i learned. Spanking doesn't equal violence. Kids are smarter than you think.
    Anonymous

• How is she a nut case? She is right, why is it ok to physically hurt a child and not break a law but hitting a person on the same age level and intellectual level will cause u to break a law? That is straight up sad. And I believe most of u who spank were spanked as children because u have been brought up to think it is ok!
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:09 PM on Jul. 25, 2009

• i believe that if a child doesnt listen when they are told...i give kids 2 chances to listen then they get a spanking and stood in a corner...so i believe that it is ok but if you can get them to listen without it then there is no reason for them to be spanked....
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2009